Nocturnal Seizures or?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kyla

New
Reaction score
Are there signs/ symptoms in the morning that anyone experiences that indicated they had a seizure that night? If you would, please share what you mornings are like following nocturnal seizures.
Is anyone's morning like this?....
There's some mornings (such as this morning) where I wake up feeling confused and weak, still tired, and sometimes scarred and like it's hard to distinguish reality (almost feels like you're still dreaming). I usually notice these feelings in the morning if I had a deep dream that night, but other times I don't. Sometimes I also wake up feeling sick or I have a dull headache in the front/forehead. These feelings effect me in the morning and takes time to ware off if it does, usually about 2-4 hours. I think there's a couple of other things but I can't remember/put my finger on it right now.
It bothers me because I woke up this morning feeling like this again and I just feel all over the place.

Everything you describe is exactly what I had periodically for about 6 months before I had a nocturnal seizure (I didn't have any in the daytime at this point). I also would have numbness, particularly in my face but also arms and legs. Not numb in the sense there truly was no feeling, because I could touch the numb areas and I had sensation but it felt numb (I guess as opposed to truly being numb). On these mornings I would wake up as though I had worked out all night, feeling exhausted as though I'd only slept for a few hours when it was 8 hours. I'd drag myself to work, still feeling disconnected and exhausted and weak for a couple of hours or sometimes the whole day. I was at a loss as to what was going on, since I could put no rhyme or reason as to when or why it happened. When I did have the first seizure at night that I knew about (it woke me up while still happening) these next-morning feelings were exactly the same but accentuated. I was terrified and for the first couple of weeks pretended nothing was happening and didn't see a doctor. After 3 of these recognizable seizures I finally did see a doctor, who got me into a neurologist. Things got worse before they got better and also progressed to daytime simple partial seizures despite trying 3 different medications. Finally got referred to an epileptologist, who is finally starting to get things under control. Ultimately I was diagnosed with frontal lobe E. manifesting as nocturnal seizures of various types but not tonic-clonic, and daytime simple partial seizures.

Have you been diagnosed with seizures of any type at this time?

Last edited:
Well buddy you know my story and everything you describe is what my morning are when things are bad or getting worse.

I wake up, feel like im still in a dream and don't feel aware for an hour or two. If I wake up with that feeling/sick then I typically have a cluster of seizures sometime during the day. The way I wake up is usually a clue on how the day will go. And having my g/f see me have them while im sleeping must mean something is up.

I notice upon waking up and going to sleep can be the toughest times. This is pretty common for seizures and its been a consistent since 2010.

Oh and im making a request that you upload a pic of Bailey so people on CWE can see! Hope things start working out for the best my Canadian buddy, eh?

masterjen- thank you for your reply. A lot of what you said sounds like my mornings usually daily. My next appointment, which is soon I believe, I'll bring this up to them. And no, I'm not diagnosed with any type of seizures, but I'm being tested as my doc is suspecting simple/complex partials (throughout the day) but isn't fully sure. Good luck to you masterjen!

MuayThaiFighter- Thanks for your reply as well. That's what it's like for me as well. When I awake, I feel like I'm still in a dream state and it can take a while (hours) to fully come around again. And like you said, I can tell how the day will go based on the feelings and what not. hahaha, and ok, I'll put a picture of Bailey up. Hope things start to work out for you as well my friend, eh!

Recently I've woken up not in a dream like state, but confused and often with a jolt, instead of gradually waking up over time. At times my eyes feel like they want to pop out, sometimes a headache on the left side with aching arms or legs. occasional aching back throughout the day.

Hi there :) About 80% of my seizures occur nocturnally and they suck the life out of me. I'm also a wanderer so I wake up with unexplained bruises from bumping into things. How I know it was a rough night is I'll wake up in some weird position (I always manage to make it back to bed) like sideways or on top of the covers instead of under them. Also, according to my neuro when you have seizures in your sleep you don't go into rem sleep so you don't dream or get the rest like you should so you you wake up feeling really tired. I know I do. I literally wake up feeling as sleepy as I did when I went to bed and I stay that way all day, which makes working really hard. When I wake up in the morning and I remember having a dream I am so happy! It means I slept and had a good seizure night. It's been months since that happened!
Occasionally I get tonic seizures in my sleep which stiffen all of my muscles so I'll wake up with very sore muscles and an aching back. Those will actually wake me up at the end and can be pretty frightening, coming out of a sleep.
I had an Ambulatory EEG to see what was going on during my nocturnal seizures and my neuro said during some nights I was having seizures every 10 minutes lasting 30 seconds. It's hard on the body when it doesn't get the rest it needs and seizures beget seizures... I hope you get it worked out!!

alice123- I too sometimes wake up with headaches in the morning with it all, like a constant dull feeling. It's never good feeling, really ruins the morning/day. Good luck :)

BrandiBrat- I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I used to be a wanderer as well as a kid that my mom had to put a gate across my room to keep me from falling down the stairs. I've heard that too about the dreams and sleeping patterns for nocturnal seizures. Makes me wonder why a lot of my mornings that are bad, I've dreamt that night? No matter what I do, it's like I'm always tired and never fully rested as well. Good luck to you and thanks for sharing :)

I think we both need to get a sleep study done. My video EEG didn't really count as it was focused around my sleep patterns. But I know for a fact im waking up constantly or having seizures during sleep. Something is up for sure. Many things come to the surface when they figure out how your sleep is going.

A constant lack of sleep for to long leaves the brain in a really messed up state.

Kyla and masterjen,

Maybe you should speak to your Neurologist about sending you for a sleep study to determine what's causing your night seizures and how many you have during the night.

Re Having seizures during your sleep: Could be due to lack of oxygen to the brain while you sleep from sleep aids such as certain anti-epileptic drugs, sleeping pills, severe snoring or some sort of restriction to the airway.

I have been dx'd with Chronic Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
After my sleep disorders test the Dr. showed me the EEG from that one night, I would stop breathing up to 50 times/hour and had 3 seizures and that I was waking up "post ictal" (moody and spaced out) tired,lethargic, (feel like crap)
I have purchased a CPAP machine (Constant Positive Air Pressure)as recommended by my Doctor, which provides constant air pressure and have noticed a vast improvement.
No more snoring (the whole family sleeps better now), more energy when I wake up, better REM sleep, improved memory (less short term memory loss), and most of all ~ NO MORE NIGHT SEIZURES.

Randy

C0urt, MuayThaiFighter, RanMan- thank you for your replies and advice. I think it would be beneficial to get a sleep test done, like MusyThaiFighter said, it could be a big clue and provide some answers. Good luck to you all and thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom