Non Epileptic Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was looking at the conditions they have listed in my records from the clinic I see my Neurologist at and it now says I have Non Epileptic Seizures but at the same time it says I have Epilepsy. I just read where you can have both and it might explain the seizure I had but my Neurologist has never said this to me, which says that he isn't the one entering that information.

How many have been told that's what you have? I read that they sometimes think it's psychological. With me it would be just the stress my body was under after being in the hospital for kidney failure and dehydration and high potassium.

My Neurologist told me that the seizure was caused from the bleed. These records don't seem that accurate, gonna have to ask him about it.

I would check into that.

When I first started realizing my blackouts were seizures, the only common thing they had was nearly all of them happened within a week of a highly stressful event. So when I had a grand mal and a drop episode I started seeing the neurologist. I was referred to a mental health clinic (which wasn't a bad idea, having seizures pop up out of what seems like no where it's understandable to need therapy imo) and both the neurologist and the mental health clinic said they believed I was having psuedo seizures. No tests but one CT at the hospital 3 days after my drop episode took place. But they insisted they were psuedo seizures and I would never have another again. Wrong.

I got a second opinion and the new neuro did an EEG after my first appointment with him. Told me how it could still be epilepsy if nothing came back etc. Got my EEG done and two weeks after seeing the neuro I was diagnosed with epilepsy, apparently the EEG showed proof of epilepsy. I find out more about it on Monday.

The nurse practitioner believes that my seizures may be stress induced but that they are actual seizures and not psychological ones. I still don't know where the line is drawn with me. It's pretty confusing. But I would suggest you do the same as I'm doing on Monday, ask every question you can think of. Get answers. You have a right to know what they are discussing about your health.

My Neurologist is the best, I just don't have a definite diagnosis and how records are processed, are probably the technician doing the reading of it since most doctors don't do it themselves but will make a diagnosis based on the results. It's funny cause almost every test I've had done was read by the same technician. The MRI, Cat Scan, my EEG and my Echo. The one the Neurologist did and read himself and diagnosed was the test for my Neuropathy, which was called an electrodiagnostic test. He did little electric shocks and put a needle in my leg and foot. The foot one hurt and I couldn't even feel the leg one at all. I have severe Neuropathy in my left leg.

I think the tech who did the reading of the test put that as the diagnosis but not sure, will ask my Neurologist when I see him in four weeks.

I was always under the understanding that if you have had more than 3 seizures in any form then you are epileptic. Can someone please clarify that or tell me if I am wrong. If this is the case then I am suggesting girlwithadog, that you are definitely epileptic.

I heard it's if you have more than 2. I've only had one grand mal but I have had multiple auras and I think one partial complex.

As far as I know an aura is another term for a simple partial. I get complex partials but I don't get tonic clonics. My 'Auras' are seizures within themselves. I do however get absence seizures also plus a whole heap of other weird stuff.

First aura I had was long before my grand mal. I was in Walmart and everything started getting really weird, things seemed far away and I was having tunnel vision, only lasted a minute but it was weird. I told the Neurologist but he didn't think it was a seizure, he called it a episode. lol

the thing is more tyan two but it still doesn't make it official if you like if it ain't in black and white it ain't happened, now been looking at nes alot recently doctors Are diagnosing if more and more as they do not like diagnosing epilepsy, they will look for anyittle thing too make them pseudo seizures, my docs trying too say mine is nes because of the mental health, I said the stress of the epilepsy caused the breakdown and mental health, in my last neurology report he said wait for ref its possible for epileptic seizures and non epileptic too appear side by side but we have too take recent breakdown into consideration !

As folks have said above, if you have had more than two seizures (particularly tonic-clonics), then the epilepsy diagnosis is applied. However, if there's any doubt about the seizures -- if they are unwitnessed, or if they are the hard-to-pin-down variety like partial seizures, then the neuro may hedge his bets and put down psychogenic non-epileptic seizures as a possible diagnosis. It can be tricky, because some less-experienced neurologists will automatically default to a non-epileptic seizure diagnosis if there's no EEG confirmation. Also complicating things is that stress can cause both kinds of seizures (epileptic and no-epileptic) and that some people can have both kinds.

I was looking at the conditions they have listed in my records from the clinic I see my Neurologist at and it now says I have Non Epileptic Seizures but at the same time it says I have Epilepsy. I just read where you can have both and it might explain the seizure I had but my Neurologist has never said this to me, which says that he isn't the one entering that information.

How many have been told that's what you have? I read that they sometimes think it's psychological. With me it would be just the stress my body was under after being in the hospital for kidney failure and dehydration and high potassium.

My Neurologist told me that the seizure was caused from the bleed. These records don't seem that accurate, gonna have to ask him about it.

I'm guessing there is some kind of protocol to "Diagnosing" someone with epilepsy, and that maybe until the "Diagnosis" is made, another Doctor can't officially call them "epileptic seizures".

I could be wrong.

God bless.

Thank you for clearing things up for me, guys. I was very lucky to have found a very perceptive neurologist. He didn't need to have all the 'proof' before he diagnosed me. He just went on observations although I did have one mri and one eeg. The eeg came through negative and so did the mri although I had a seizure in the form of an olfactory hallucination . during the mri because of the knocking sounds it emits. I do at some stage have to have more eegs but at this point he is comfortable with his diagnosis (and so am I). I actually thought I was going crazy and still feel that way some days but I would hate to think what I would be like now without the meds although they are not as efficient as they were in the beginning. However, today is a good day for me so far.

I want to ask the Neurologist who does the records cause whatever is listed in them, I'm not sure the doctor is aware cause only when I was in the hospital, did they ask me about one thing that was there and it actually wasn't supposed to be cause I didn't have that and the doctors outside the hospital don't ask about those conditions, even if they are who I see if I do have that. Like the non epileptic seizures, the Neurologist doesn't say I think they are non epileptic and he always tells me what he thinks it is and he's never mentioned it so it makes me think he's not aware it's there.

Back
Top Bottom