Not allowed to drink-suggestions?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Are you saying that a supplement that has been shown to cause convulsions in people who don't take Lamictal or have epilepsy might be safe on someone who does take lamicatal for their epilepsy???

I hope you're not implying that because such a redundant study doesn't exist that Miranda should still try it despite it being so dangerous?
I am new to forums. I assumed as you were posting warnings you must have researched it or tried it yourself, I was just asking what you knew and which studies you were citing as the ones that related to it. I am not worried if nobody tries it. Its one of those things I am not worried if nobody likes it or tries but just as we all react differently to meds and not all of us react the same to everything. Not all warnings or recommendations apply to all of except maybe alcohol consumption which will get us all. I was trying to put something else in there to give anybody who it works for and don't cause seizures another small pleasure in life to help replace alcohol. I recommended it in good faith from first hand personal experience. I ignored all those questionable warnings and have another harmless pleasure in life. :)

Then again I eat chilli too harmlessly and that causes life threatening reactions in some people but I still recommend it. What do you do never recommend anything to others that doesn't harm yourself because someone wrote something on the net?

Last edited:
I recommended it in good faith from first hand personal experience. I ignored all those questionable warnings and have another harmless pleasure in life.

So what you are saying is that we should trust an anecdotal claim & discard numerous studies? I'd like to know why you would refer to something that has been done in a lab & repeated with the same result as questionable. Personally I find anecdotal claims to be extremely questionable.

Then again I eat chilli too harmlessly and that causes life threatening reactions in some people but I still recommend it. What do you do never recommend anything to others that doesn't harm yourself because someone wrote something on the net?

You're right the net has a lot of non-truths on it but what I cited were 8 scientific studies, all that showed various dangers of Damiana.

This is much more than anything anecdotal.

Last edited:
You're right the net has a lot of non-truths on it but what I cited were 8 scientific studies, all that showed various dangers of Damiana.

This is much more than anything anecdotal.
I read those too and ignored every one of them ages ago thankfully. there s probably a study citing white backgrounds on forums cause eye cancer or something out there too lol. You know how it is..

I think that we might be getting away from the whole point of this thread guys. Let's not argue and instead let's address the original issue brought up at the beginning :)

We are here to help each other. I certainly feel a bit better about things now that I am on this forum and can read through people's experiences and know that I am not alone in what I am going through. It's great to have so many great people in one spot :)

I think that we might be getting away from the whole point of this thread guys. Let's not argue and instead let's address the original issue brought up at the beginning :)

We are here to help each other. I certainly feel a bit better about things now that I am on this forum and can read through people's experiences and know that I am not alone in what I am going through. It's great to have so many great people in one spot :)
Its true and your right about disagreement. So many things we like get taken from us when we have seizures alcohol included. I have had 20 years of people trying to tell me I cant do this and that because of epilepsy and its really boring being limited in any way.
I bet we are all slightly naughty and to things we are advised not to do sometimes.

Last edited:
I guess life is what you make it. I'm not really bored much, there's always something to do that is fun and/engaging.

This is an interesting thread. I will say, as has been said somewhere along here, everyone finds their own way/tolerance. I learned early on that more than 8 ounces of wine resulted in the most horrid hangover type headache. Pavlovian. I don't do that anymore, hurts too much.

I guess life is what you make it. I'm not really bored much, there's always something to do that is fun and/engaging.
So true i have heaps of hobbies and work!

Have you ever noticed though when someone tells you you cant have something how suddenly you want it so much more..

There is nothing quite as desirable as the thing we cannot have.

I haven't ever got drunk once in my life (never really had friends or been around people who drinks) my father sometimes gets bottles like cherry with 1% alcohol in it or sometimes margarita with perhaps a tspoon of alcohol in it... Either way, it's fine for me at least and with that much it's difficult to even get drunk. I won't ever get drunk, and the last tonic clonic seizure that I am aware of has been over 7 months, and when I usually do have a seizure it's miserable for two or four days because I'm sore all over with tongue hurting so bad. You're better off refraining from alcohol anyway, if your friends tries to get you to drink just say you won't.

Last edited:
I'm usually pretty good with things I can't do. I think it boils down to my laziness lol. I am truly a lazy person so if u tell me, ivana you can't play basketball, I would respond with, ok sounds like a lot of work anyway. Lpl

Back
Top Bottom