Not Driving

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

janet11

New
Reaction score
Hi

My name is Janet and I am new here. Just wanted to vent on not being able to drive for 6 months. Wow what a pain. I understand why I certainly don't want to hurt anyone or myself. How did or do you guys deal with it?

janet11

Deal with it, well you feel bad enough going through this so how would you feel if you hurt somebody or worst, even though you did not set out to do it, it could happen. You feel bad enough when its an animal if it was a person? You have the choice, you can take the risk you might only hurt yourself or worse but if anybody else was involved and you knew you could have avoided the situation. Sorry its a rather harsh way of putting it.

If you break your are arm you are told not to use it, to be careful and just rest it, so do you go home and start using it to do work around the house. So it is a choice you have to make and that is the way I look at it. I do drive but there are others who do not, some do not want to and others cannot so I am very lucky.

Last edited:
Hey Janet.

Depends on what you mean by "dealing with it". The headache of having to find your way around or the fact that there is a car outside and you have the keys?

A strong head and good friends are helpful. I had my wife and a friend drive me to and from work. Sometimes my sister.

The hardest thing for me was fighting the urge to drive. Driving is one thing I do to relax and have fun.

Only twice, for six months at a time, have I had to stop driving.

You haven't bothered anyone. ;)

Last edited:
janet11

No Janet11 you did not bother me, you asked how I dealt with it and I was trying to explain that if I hurt somebody no matter how much I would feel awful and I think most people would even you, so given the choice for me I prefer to wait. I know it sounded harsh the first time again I am sorry, just not 100% today.

janet11

No harm in being sensitive, we all are at times even N Sperlo (only joking) hes usually nicer than me.

Hi Janet11

Welcome.
Not driving can be a pain but since I commute on long island its a blessing sometimes to take the Accessible Bus. At times the ride on the bus can be annoying but I save $ on gas and insurance. So you have to look on the bright side. I get to read, sleep and listen to podcasts (some on health). I had my first seizure(s) in Dec 2012 and haven't driven since. But my husband and daughter help out. Many people eventually drive with the right meds and time. Be patient.
Bobbi

Hi janet --

Not driving can be tough, esp. if you don't have good public transportation options nearby. During the times I've had to be off the road, I've done a lot of walking, and relied on friends and family. I can drive now, but when I had the opportunity, I moved to a neighborhood where I can easily get to shops and the subway. best of luck to you -- I hope your seizures are controlled, and that the six months fly by.

Like Nakamova said, not driving is tough when there isn't public transportation around. I know. Been there, done that. I've done a lot of walking and still do a lot of that, plus bike riding to my destination. I also moved closer to public transportation and much closer to a mall, grocery store and my pharmacy. Plus, I still have friends who help me out when they can. I had a seizure while driving and totaled my car. Thank god, no human being was killed or injured. So now I don't drive and never will again. I think of what could have happened.......
That's how I deal with it. Like Bobbi said, I try to look on the bright side; no car payment, no insurance, and let others deal with the hassle of road rage.
But hopefully, you won't end up in the same situation I'm in. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I don't drive and I hate having to depend on ppl to get me places.I depend on ppl as little as possible.I have a life, and I walk a lot and it keeps me in shape and it has for a long time.I tale public transit but I'm not always able to when I need to go somewere.:soap:If I have a seizure in public that's fine with me, it doesn't embaress me.:pfft:

Hi Janet,

I'm new on here as well. But last year I went through what your dealing with now. I couldn't drive for about 10 months. I am lucky enough to have very supportive friends and family, but when a ride wasn't available I got a lot of exercise. Biking and walking to places and also using the public transportation helped immensely.

It was tempting to drive at times, but I used the opportunity to sell the truck I had in order to get something more fuel efficient once I got my license back [emoji39]

I'm in the same boat. Personally... I whine a lot so far. I don't know if I should uninsure myself or not? I am finding I need to be very organized with the kids' activities and grocery shopping. I can't wing anything. I live brutally with no family near me. My kids don't drive yet... it is truly awful. I feel like I've been infantisized. I am basically sucking it up. Not fun. Sorry!

I don't know if I should uninsure myself or not?
Even when I wasn't allowed to drive, I kept my insurance and license. In MA the docs aren't required to notify either the DMV or my auto insurer, so it's not in any of their records.

I'm in the same boat. Personally... I whine a lot so far. I don't know if I should uninsure myself or not? I am finding I need to be very organized with the kids' activities and grocery shopping. I can't wing anything. I live brutally with no family near me. My kids don't drive yet... it is truly awful. I feel like I've been infantisized. I am basically sucking it up. Not fun. Sorry!

And I was once in the same boat, too. My kids were young once and couldn't drive, and we lived far away from family. My husband was a pilot, so he was also gone a great deal of the time. Had to rely on friends and neighbors for rides back then because the community we lived in had NO public transportation. We kept the insurance, of course.

Now, I don't have a car and never will because I have refractory E. But like I said before, I also live close by public transportation and am living alone now.

Thanks Nakamova. I did find out that is the case in Maine as well. It's an honor system. But I wondered if saving money now on insurance might cost me more later if I told them why.

Do you have to tell the insurers why? It could be any reason -- you could be putting the car in storage while you travel. Or you might only need it seasonly (as with farm vehicles).

Back
Top Bottom