Not Driving

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I hired and unemployed friend of mine to take me to and from work. He was happy to have some extra cash and i was happy to get a ride.

Janet11,

I hear you Janet, its very frustrating especially when you live in an area where public transport is very inasccesable or takes forever to get anywhere. My husband and I actually moved 2 blocks away from my job so I could walk to work and to my pharmacy, He however has to commute about 45 minutes to his job. The key to the transpotation issue I have found is planning everything in advance. Grocery shopping, hair and doctor appointments all on the same day and in the same parts of town thats what works best for me. For instance all my doctors are in the same part of town so I schedule them for the same day same thing with blood work I will schedule them for the same lab on the same day. on that same day I will also maybe schedule a hair appointment as well becasue my salon is also in that part of town as well in an area with a Super Target as well as some other shopping so I am able to get some other errends done as well, so matbe my husband will arrange to drop me off at my doctors office and then maybe one of friends from church in that part of town will then meet me after all my docters appts and labs and then will meet me at the hospital and then maybe we will go have lunch or coffee depending on the time of day at the place where I will be shopping at near where my salon is lots of shopping/resturaunts. I always try to do doctors appointments on a Wednesday because we have church choir practice on that night and the hospital is near the church. I then proceed with whatever errends I need to run. Keeping organized is the real key hard though it is.

Tina

Hired an unemployed friend? What a genius idea!

Now who can I get fired?

Mary drove five years with seizures. After they became more frequent and she had a few while driving we did what we should have done in the first place...stopped driving. We had 5 yeArs before one of our children could fill in. We bought a 12 passenger van to hold us and the helpful mom and her children. We would also give access to the vehicle without us for their vacations, or trips as a gift to our helpers. Soon the house will be empty again and we will be asking for rides more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zolt,
I have often thought of hiring the unemployed friend or a college student in the church who could use the extra cash to run me around on the days that I need to get around what a wonderful blessing that would be to them as well. I will have to keep that in mind.

Tina

Driving laws vary from state to state. Never had my license pulled, and public transportation where I am sucks, and so does the traffic. It would be hard to Give up that independence for sure. I did pass up a good job because of my seizure history a few years back that involved driving, part of my plight in my history of trying to make a living...I am sorry you are dealing with this.

I'm past the half way point of a 6 month ban from driving. To be honest, I thought it would be alot worse. My daughter is driving me to work, great driving practice for her, nail-biter for me and I take the bus home. Luckily, my 6 month driving hiatus is during the nicer weather, so that's a bonus. I live within walking distance to grocery stores... so I just make sure not to buy 3 4-litre jugs of milk on the same trip! Hubby and friends are good about driving me to the gym, and when I still have a little energy left.. I walk home. It's all in the way you look at it... I figure my legs will be more toned if nothing else :)

Since the start of my seizures back in 93' i've gone 3 long stretches without being able to drive. Never fun! :(

welcome janet :)
and vent away, that's a big benefit of cwe. thousands of others know exactly what you're going through and will listen.
when i joined three years ago i read alot of stories that were considerably worse than mine. didn't exactly make me 'feel better,' but i felt alot less isolated and realized hey, my situation could be alot worse :eek:
if you can, try using that point of view. all considered, losing your license for six months is fairly minor in the large scheme of epilepsy. many with e never get to drive their whole life, while others drive then seizures get so bad it's taken away for good. unfortunately (tho there are silver linings in it), i can now turn the idea over.
i have lost my license 7 times, with a side of 'thank you very f'ing much'... one time i got my license back only to have a grand mal the next day. i've recently gone through brain surgery as well, and in february got my license back for what is supposed to be the last time. i seize again i may just lose it for life, it's happened too many times.

i'm not telling you how to feel this is just my pov, however, it's best with e to put things in perspective. though that's not always easy, it helps in the long run. and trust us all, that six months does go pretty fast, esp. if friends and family can help.
hugs, nat.

Hi

My name is Janet and I am new here. Just wanted to vent on not being able to drive for 6 months. Wow what a pain. I understand why I certainly don't want to hurt anyone or myself. How did or do you guys deal with it?
Hey Janet, Welcome to the Forum. I was new here, too, about a year ago. I have been unable to drive since diagnosed last August. While my State (AZ) only requires being seizure free 3 months, I have not been able to stay seizure free long enough to drive.

Feeling quite fortunate that a) I'm retired (age 68) and b) I live in Tucson which is super bike friendly. Pre-seizures and pre-retirement I either bike commuted our used public tran in Chicago. Chose to retire in Tucson because I could ride 365 which is a win-win for me personally and for the carbon foot-print I leave behind me. (Been in Tucson now for 3 years).

Don't know whether cycling would be an option for you to be able to get around with freedom, independence, and joy. If you want to chat about how to do all of that by bike, message me personally via the Forum. Be happy to help you think about all of that.

Susan

Hi Janet! Im not able to drive for six months as well. For the last month ive had my husband drive me to work, gotten help from my kids' friends to get them to where they need to go, walked a little ( i live rurally and there isnt anywhere to walk except the beach... which is fine this time of year!) I am also fortunate to have a personal assistant and a son with a learners permit. It has been hard being organized and planning everything ahead, but thats been key to keeping sane.

Even when I wasn't allowed to drive, I kept my insurance and license. In MA the docs aren't required to notify either the DMV or my auto insurer, so it's not in any of their records.

One of my Neur. told me NOT to turn over my license, that it would take a long time not to mention the pain it would be to get them back.

I have had my license pulled now for, oh my goodness, 2 yrs. I have kept my insurance as well. I do not have to report it to my insurance although my husband has been pulled over since the license plate is in my name as the primary driver. Strangely enough it is still cheaper for me to be the primary driver as a female than him as a male. Go figure. I guess we are on a do not ask do not tell kind of system as well! I live in a rural area where buses do not go but neighbours, and family pull through for me and I am a lucky, lucky girl. I am thinking about getting an electric as they do not require a license but I am still worried because loud noises can trigger me but everyone is different!

Last edited:
Hey Janet , Like Naka said about the public transportation. If you can relocate to a city with good transit that would be my suggestion. I lived in PA for 27 years and for a long time it was a pattern of 9/6 Id get my license back and have it for 9 months and the one year aniversary would be approaching and then id lose it again for 6 months. during those times you have to rely on friends and family. In the down time I played alot of video games like WoW or some other MMORPG that I could lose myself in. I also slept alot. Just to pass time. Now I am doing violin and less of the MMO craziness. lol. I know it sucks and personally I always hated being a passenger. Cause for me driving was a way to relieve stress. Hop in my car and blast the radio and sing my heart out. I still honestly miss it even though I can take public transit between 3 states now. But yeah. To some it up . Theres nothing you can do. Look for something small to look forward to in each week. set small land marks and eventually the time will pass and I pray you will have your privileges restored.
peace and Blessings.

It will be awesome when they finally get a self driving car on the market. From what I read they're not that far from it. In fact I was reading the other day where they are actually testing them in traffic, in some other country, though I can't remember which.

They'll probably cost a mint at first, but hell, if you could afford it, what a wonderful thing that would be, just for the peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom