Numbness and Epilepsy!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been overwhelmed with the help and support I have received on here and I have another question to ask please.

My husband's episodes started 9 weeks ago and we are currently awaiting the results of his mri scan to see whether they are indeed simple partial seizures like a lot of you on here have said they seem like the way I described them,.

I am wondering the first day these episodes started he has had a constant numbness which is worse in the bath and in direct heat. It is his left leg, left arm, round his head he says it feels like he is wearing a crash helmet and his entire back. It is not numb to the touch and can feel when he pinches the area but feels like something is covering his skin very hard to describe.

Has anyone else had this?

Penny X

Sounds like the circulatory system, but then I am not a medical professional.

An MRI will not be able to confirm or deny whether he is experiencing simple partial seizures. An EEG reading taken at the time he experiences the problem would be the best diagnostic as far as I know. MRIs can tell if there are physical abnormalities in the brain (like scar tissue, enlarged or shrunken areas of the brian, possibly circulatory obstructions/problems, etc.) which could be indicative of focal points for seizure activity.

Numbness/tingling can be a sign of peripheral neuropathy, strokes/TIAs, etc. Has he been checked for diabetes?

Hi there,

I also get alot of tingles/numbness. Alot of times during the seizures themselves and sometimes after. Ask your Drs. about this. I also get this prior to the seizures..during the auras. I will get tingly,numb feeling and sort of electrical jitters. Hard to descibe. I know alot of these things are sensory..more of a feeling of numbness or tingles. Certainly worth asking about. Put it on your last so you don't forget. That is what my Docs told me. I would mention it to them to be sure. Best wishes!

Michelle

Question:

Did he just HAVE a seizure or is it BEFORE a seizure?
There's several possiblities:

1) Heat Stroke Warning / Dehydration - give him fluids
and get him into a shade ASAP or into an air conditioned
place. (Feel his body, if it's very hot or hotter than normal,
Call 911).
2) Other Medical Conditions
3) Cardiac - Stroke or TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack)
(if it's on the left side - one sure sign is to have him
'smile', and if his smile is crooked, speech is slurred,
droop on face, CALL 911 - this is an emergency)
4) If he HAD a seizure - could have been Todd's Paresis
(aka Todd's Paralysis)
5) AED Medication reaction
6) If he's on other Medication other than AED
it could be a reaction to that
(On #4,5 & 6 - Call your Doctor ASAP and give report)

There are more I can put into here ... however,
we are not Medical Doctors or Personnel, but I
have stressed the important factors and the
generalized major issues above.

When in doubt - take him to the Emergency Room,
better SAFE than Sorry!
There's just far too many
factors, reasons, and dangers involved; especially
this: THE OLDER YOU ARE - THE HIGHER YOUR RISK!

I know what that peripheral neuropothy is like I have to deal with everyday.

A full physical sounds good to me. Heart, diabetes, everything. I did that during really stressful times to.It could be many things. A pinched nerve makes my whole back and arm go numb.

Back
Top Bottom