Numbness when relaxed?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced numbness or tingling feelings when they are relaxed?

Im seeing a pattern of having this numbness or tingling sensations when Im relaxed. It happens mostly in the evenings, when Ive settled down from doing my busy things with the kids, the housework, etc.

My hands and feet start to get numbness and my hands feel tingly.... its a weird feeling.. kind of feeling weak at times too. If I had to put into words what it feels like... I would say an "Off, weak, tingling, feeling".....

Kind of like Im just not all here....

I will be seeing my dr next week, but I just thought Id see if anyone here has been through this or has had this happened before? Im on 2500mgs of Keppra. Ive been on Keppra before, since the age of 18, and Im now 30. I was taking 3000mgs a day with Carbatrol then. Had no problems. Now with no carbatrol, and lowered my dose of Keppra, Im just wondering if these could feelings Ive been having, could be possible break through seizures? Seizures wanting to come about, but not going to a full seizure? When I do the research on my symptoms, its coming up as focal simple partial seizures with the numbness.... sometimes my head turns to the right too...

ANOTHER QUESTION.....

Anyone that just takes Keppra, have you ever noticed a change in appetite? Not eating as much as you did before taking Keppra?

Just curious. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can answer the second question, huge change in appetite. Dropped drastically at first then just became completely unstable. Never just normal, either no appetite or eating a LOT. I always worried about it making me diabetic.

I never payed attention to the first one. I get occasional numbness but likely unrelated to epilepsy.

Being only on the Keppra is new for me. Since the age of 18 Ive been on Keppra and Carbatrol. When my dr took me off my carbatrol Cold Turkey for the VEEG, he never put me back on it. Just within the first five days of not being on any medication at all, I went down 6lbs! From then on, within the last couple of months, Ive lost 20lbs so far. Now Im seeing on the Keppra side effects that numbness in the hands and feet are listed, along with weight loss and loss of appeitite. None which to be listed as severe. But I will bring it all up to my dr when I see him on Wednesday. At least Im hoping I get to see him and not the PA!

I have been on Keppra for 5 months I think and that is the only meds i have every taken. But I have had a change in appitite. Like Paul said, one day I am not hungry and my boyfriend has to make me eat or i forget and the next I feel like I am always hungry.
As far as the tingling, I have had that in my hands and feet for a long time. Mine has nothing to do with my seizures, mine is from neural tension, which just means that my nerves are "tight" there are stretches I do that help it and I dont get that feeling as long as I do the stretches.

I feel tingeling sensation in my left palm everytime i let it lay or if i move it.

Before i toke keppra it din't bother me now when i take keppra i think it can make me have an aura and get a jerk like electrical voltage.

I get that jerking thing all of the time. I have associated it with my way to pull myself out of a petitmal. Typically when it happens is when I just had a petitmal but occasonally it will happen randomly and I suppose I was going to have one or had a very small one and didn't notice it.

I was on Keppra and Carbatrol for over 10 years, and didnt experience the numbness or tingling at all. But when my dr took the carbatrol away, and since Ive only been on Keppra, Ive been seeing it happening more often.

The first time I ever noticed the numbness was when I was having the seizures in the hospital. When my dr took me off all my medications and it wasnt til 40 hours after my last dose that I started having seizures, it was then that I was having different seizures than the complex partials I was use to having before. I was aware of what was going on during the seizure and I could hear the nurses talking to me, but if the seizure got too intense, I couldnt talk back or respond to them til the seizure was over.

The numbness started then, and since being put on different medications and now back to only being on Keppra, Its been happening on a daily bases. Im busy during the day with kids, housework, etc. The times I noticed it alot are in the evenings when I want to put my feet up and watch a tv show. When my body is relaxed and not moving around. Then when Im asleep, or wanting to fall sleep, I get the motor feeling through out my body, which has the numbness with it. Its a weird feeling.

My only concern is that If these are simple partial seizures Im experiencing, and the Keppra 2500mgs is not enough to hold them back, I just hope my dr can see this and do something about it. But I got a feeling he is going to tell me these are not seizures, and think they are something else.

Ive been doing some googling on numbness in hands and feet, motor feeling through out body, seizures, and its all coming up as simple partial seizures. Focal seizures, left temporal lobe, etc. Which is what I have, is temporal lobe epilepsy.

Im just praying my dr can see where Im coming from!

Back
Top Bottom