Are official diagnoses important?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
So...if a Dr. says they are not sure about your seizures and start giving you AED's then what are you? I mean, I am me. I got that. That is what counts.
Granted.
But I don't think they think I have epilepsy...

I must just be rocking the medical grey zone.

The well, we better be safe than sorry.

Or, is it something as cynical as I think that the Dr. wants to
continue to be paid for treating me so he might as well treat me.

Perhaps I should care. Perhaps I shouldn't?

Ah well. I guess I will only care if the side effects of medication outweigh the benefits.
Happy Easter everyone.
Gotta go prepare the kids Easter baskets!
We would hide the chocolate eggs but our two dogs would beat them to it. After all, don't all kids receive their Easter baskets safely out of reach on the kitchen table? That Easter bunny sure is practical.

A diagnosis is important, but not having one yet does not mean you aren't sick! Also, as frustrating as it can be, it's not uncommon for doctors to figure out what you have by seeing how you respond to medications.
The next time you see your doctor, ask what he's learned from how you're responding to medication. Ask about his plan to figure out what is wrong and if the answer is not satisfactory, switch.

If a Doctor told me they weren't sure about the seizures, I'd ask questions and what test have you had?If he hasn't given you any test I'd find another doctor.

He is my 5th neurologist...this has been a 6 year ongoing back and forth kind of thing between the psychological and epilepsy diagnosis. I have had many different tests and last year I spent one week in an epilepsy monitoring unit. I have resorted to a laissez faire attitude to protect myself from becoming upset because believe me, I absolutely have been there! lol!

Back
Top Bottom