Okay...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MrE

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So to catch up I've been in and out of hospitals (the psych ward being one of them) several times due to...well...complicated issues...but anyway...yeah...I've got a good system of doctors and medications going for me...for now...also other activities and groups to keep me busy/proactive...

anyway...the new medication I am taking is Lithium...well it's not really "new" (I've taken it before I just somehow forgot)...but yeah I guess it's helping some...but this damn California heat doesn't help (apparently I have to avoid the heat while on this medication)...I got sick one time and went all coocoo for cocoa puffs having delusions that triggered hallucinations that triggered a psychotic episode...but that was just one of my trips to the ER...anyway...I was in the psych ward for a week because...well...why does anyone get sent to the freakin psych ward!!!

The doctor just recently gave me some Keppra but I am hesitant to take it because they haven't given me anything for paranoia yet :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I had a sister who once tried to O'd on Gabitril I took and it sent her into a phychotic break episode .I know what you mean about heat we can can get get 80%humidity in Georgia in the summer.

Well I have to admit the nurses were pretty hot (and nice)...and I made some friends too :D

Last edited:
MrE

At lest you made some new friends, I have no idea why they put you in the psych ward sometimes you wounder but at lest you got some attention of sorts and the nurses!!

The doctor just recently gave me some Keppra but I am hesitant to take it because they haven't given me anything for paranoia yet :rolleyes:

:roflmao:

I've been wondering about why you've been scarce. My doctor always tells me lithium is the safest and simplest mood stabiliser because it naturally occurs in the body but I've always disliked the idea so I've settled well on Seroquel for three years. Anyway, whatever works, works, right? Sorry you had to spend time in a psych ward though. I hope you stay stable. There are quite a few things you have to watch with lithium--fluid intake, salt intake if I remember correctly. Just keep yourself balanced with that stuff, okay?

Last edited:
I was in the damn psych ward because I was suicidal/homicidal on top of delusions/hallucinations/hearing voices...whatever the hell you want to call it...at first I was having "blackouts" where I'd clench a kitchen knife with a death grip and not know what the hell I was doing until I snapped out of it and remembered I wanted to off someone in a really violent way (but for someone reason I locked up)...then I ended up in the ER and told the crisis worker that I wanted to jump in front of a moving train...that I was sick of everything...so yeah I've been going through a lot of ****** UP SHIT lately...but I'd rather not talk about it in detail...besides I'm trying to focus on what I've gained from this whole experience...not what I've lost

Thank you God for guiding me through this...

Thank you my son for listening to my voice...

Another med is Risperdal. That is safer than lithium, in my opinion.

When you have suicidal/homicide tendencies, it is time to call the Crisis Center. If you live in CA, they are here.

I cannot go out in this heat in CA either.

I hope you get better soon.

I can't take that crap...my tongue swells up (and not in a good way :p)

but yeah thanks Ruth for telling me what I already knew lol

I cannot take Seroquel either...I just have a really bad reaction from it...all kinds of nasty...the only kind of nasty I want is from some sexy nurse :D

Last edited:
I was in the damn psych ward because I was suicidal/homicidal on top of delusions/hallucinations/hearing voices...whatever the hell you want to call it...at first I was having "blackouts" where I'd clench a kitchen knife with a death grip and not know what the hell I was doing until I snapped out of it and remembered I wanted to off someone in a really violent way (but for someone reason I locked up)...then I ended up in the ER and told the crisis worker that I wanted to jump in front of a moving train...that I was sick of everything...so yeah I've been going through a lot of ****** UP SHIT lately...but I'd rather not talk about it in detail...besides I'm trying to focus on what I've gained from this whole experience...not what I've lost

Thank you God for guiding me through this...

Thank you my son for listening to my voice...

I understand well what you have gone through. Until 4 years ago I was in and out of the psych ward several times for 8 years. I have Bipolar 1, Complex PTSD and BPD. Took that long to find meds for me.
In March of this year I was started on Keppra. By the first of April they were weining me off. The middle of April I was in the psych ward for post-ictal psychosis. I was seeing both a psych, therapist and nueroligist while in therefor 9 days. Broke my 4 year run. Even after getting out it took awhile to feel myself again.
We have to be careful and watch our moods on all anti-epileptics. Each one if you look at side effects can cause suicidal thoughts. Keeping a daily diary of your thoughts and emotions can help with this.
I'm glad you are doing better!!! :hugs:

Screw this not taking Lithium no more...this crap is nasty...I've been taking it for almost 2 months now and the cons out weight the pros...so yeah I see my psych in 2 months so I guess I'll give something else a try at that time...for now...I will continue my Depakote...though I do miss those lovely nurses :p (I think I have "nurseosis")

Are you taking the tablets or capsules for lithium. I had always been on tablets but then my psych quit on me and forgot to give me a script for lithium along with the others. So my GP sent one to the pharmacy for the capsules. Taking the capsules along with Depakote (ya, I'm on it too) makes me so sick but the tablets with Depakote didn't. I have been on lithium about 5 years and never had a problem until the capsules.

i was put in the pysch ward once because they were better staffed to pay attention to you when you had bad seizures, and could put your room near the desk.

It don't matter...not taking this junk no more...I've gained to much unwanted weight and I'm always super thirsty and I get itchy and burny and tingly and numb and dizzy and nauseas and the list goes on...so yeah screw this!

and lol C0urt

Litihium was a drug suggested if my EEG comes up clean again. All the mood stabilizers/AED like drugs make me feel lethargic. Might give it a try but it seems people either hate it or love it.

Sometimes being at the ward is better then letting your mind take to much control in the wrong direction. Plus you got to see the nurses right! Hope you are doing well MR. E.

Ya, I understand the weight gain. Its the sh*ts , I am on both lithium and depakote and I hate that side effect but I REALLY hate the seizures and the magor problems with bipolar. So, I finally decided to take the lesser od two evils!

Dear old Mr E, people who tell you what they think you should do are wildly egotistical, annoying, and should be put on their own island so that the rest of the world doesn't have to put up with them. Now that that's out of the way, I think you should pick up the phone, call your psych, and ask for a substitute for the lithium you've been taking.

Fly like an eagle let your spirit set you free!!! :p

Okay so I've been off Lilithium for a while now and boy do I feel different...in a better way of course...sure it may have "helped" me some mentally but physically I just felt awful all the time so it just wasn't worth it...I honestly believe certain meds may help certain people for certain reasons etc....but this just wasn't one of them...anyway...yeah...I'm married to Depakote again (she didn't like sharing anyway)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom