Osteomalacia and Medications

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ruth

New
Reaction score
I found this link about Osteomalacia (softening of the bones)

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000376.htm

It's causes are: not enough calcium, Vitamin D.
1. Not enough Vitamin D in the diet. 2. Not enough exposure to sunlight, which produces vitamin D in the body.
Use of very strong sunscreen, limited exposure of the body to sunlight, short days of sunlight and smog are factors that reduce formation of Vitamin D in the body. The elderly and those who avoid drinking milk are at increased risk for osteomalacia.

Another condition that may cause osteomalacia include:

Phosphate depletion associated with not enough phosphates in the diet
Side effects of medications used to treat seizures.

The one I am interested in is the side effects of our medications. I have noticed that one of my bones bend in a little when I just put on my socks. Has anyone else noticed that they have this problem?

Oh, dear

you need to go to the doctor, and be evaluated, especially if you can see the bone actually BENDING when you are doing something as simple as putting on your socks.....

Hi Feast,
I know about all the side effects of AEDs as I have most of them.
The one that really bothers me the most is that after long term use (29yrs in my case) it causes a severe decrease in bone density. The dilantin eats up all the calcium in your bones.

I also have Ulcerative Colitis which I also take meds for,and I can't consume dairy products,
Dilantin is the only proven medication so far that does not have a negative reaction with my UC meds (Mesasal) therefore I have taken vitamine C, D and calcium vitamins for two years now to help combat osteoperosis.

Randy

Hi Everyone,

I did not know how to fight the side effects until I came to CWE. I have been on meds since 1950. I have started taking Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D and B complex pill not long ago. My neurologist told me to take the B Complex when he put me on Keppra.

According to the article it says the medicines also causes us to lose phosphates. Now, I have to start taking phosphate in addition. Thank you for telling me about vitamin C. I am losing my bone density too. That is one of the results of softening of my bones.

Right now, I am on Keppra, mysoline, Lamictal, clonazepam and Neurontin. They finally found the right combination for my epilepsy after 60 years. I have just been learning about nutrition and supplements. The doctor recentley did a bone density test but have refused to give me the results. We are in the process of trying to find another doctor. Everytime I go to the ER, they do an X-ray of my bones. They have never told me the results. Now, I know what it is.

Your doctor refused to give you the results of your bone density test???!!! Did he or she say why? That information should be yours, even if the doctor thought the scan wasn't conclusive. (Bone scans ARE somewhat limited in that they only show a snapshot of that particular moment, and the results can change depending on the time of day, or even at different times of the year. On the other hand, if you are post-menopausal, and have a history of taking AEDs, then the scan might indicate if your bone density is dangerously low). Since there is radiation involved in the bone scan, it would be great if you didn't have to repeat the procedure with a new doctor. I would try again to pry that information out of your doctor...

Hi Nakamova

She did not say why or what the bone density test said. In fact, she changed my appointment from May to August. I am post-menopausal. I have had 60 years of being on medications. I am 66 years old now.

My husband has changed his mind about getting another doctor. He is the one who has to change doctors since the medical plan is in his name. We live in a town where the doctors are limited. Surprisingly she is the best doctor in town. I am going to try again.

Bernard,

Thank you very much for the information Angel gave me. There is so much information that I asked her about osteomalcia.

I will keep going back to try to remember it. I hope everyone reads that. I did read all of it. I learned a lot of things that I did not know before. I will go back and write down all of the main depletions that I have. I did not know about copper, selenium and folic acid. I do not add salt to my food. There is plenty of sodium in the foods that we eat.

I went back to Angel's topic and found out which vitamins and minerals I need:

Calcium phosphate and Vitamin D. Not enough can cause osteomalcia and other skeletal problems.
I need folic acid and biotin with my primidone (Mysoline) and all of my other medicines.
Vitamin B complex and folic acid work together to prevent bone loss.
I need biotin to prevent bone marrow loss.
Vitamin K is for the protein in my bone tissue.
Copper and Zinc, I also need.

I do not know how much of each one to take. Does anyone know how much I need?

You might ask your GP for advice on that. Your doctor could also take some tests to see how depleted you may or may not be for any of the above.

Hi Bernard,

I will talk to my doctor and to my neurologist ahout the amounts I need.

I have high cholesterol and high triglycerides. They are blood lipids. The cause is from vegetable oil and animal fats. They can lead to cardiovasular disease.

The American Liver Foudation
What is fatty liver?

Fatty liver is just what its name suggests. It is the buildup of excess fat in the liver cells. It is normal for your liver to contain some fat. But if fat accounts for more than 10% of your liver's weight, then you have fatty liver and you may develop more serious complications.

Fatty liver may cause no damage, but sometimes the excess fat leads to inflamation of the liver. This condition, called steatohepatitis, does cause liver damage. If you are not drinking alcohol, this condition is called nonalcholic steathhepatitis, or NASH.

An inflamed liver may become scarred and hardened overtime, this condition, called cirrhosis, is serious and often leads to liver failure.

I have to get my cholesterol and triglycerides lowered by not eating animal fats and vegetable oil.

I need B vitamins for the liver. I am taking the B vitamins for my osteomalacia.
Vitamin B 1 specifically Thiamine.

Biotin for my cholesterol levels and my osteomalacia.

Vitamine E

Selenium for my lipids, fats, high cholesterol levels and liver problems

Zinc for the liver and high cholesterol levels.

I am also quitting all Tylenol and acetaminophen. They cause liver problems. Aspirin causes bleeding in the stomach. I have all ready quit all pain medications. I will live with the pain.

I do not need that. When I see my doctor in August, I will find out if my liver has improved or at least not gotten worse. I am going to be tested for my cholesterol and tryglericides. I will have to ask for a testing form. I will make up a list to see how much depletion I have.

Back
Top Bottom