overheating

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gr33nr0se

New
Reaction score
ever since i was really little, i would overheat when excersizing. now though, it has gotten a lot worse. when i say overheat, i mean my face turns reddish-purple, i get really out of breath and i get weak. this used to only happen during exercise. now it happens spontaneously. i can't take a hot shower cuz i over heat, and i use a fan infront of my bed year round. even when its snowing. every time i overheat i have more seizures. the only thing i can think of that could be causing it is spirnolactone. i can't stop taking it though. i use it for abnormal hormone levels that were dangerously high and are now controlled. i sweat like crazy when i overheat and then i start freaking out because it makes me feel so weird. is this the spirnolactone or does this happen often to anyone else? don't forget, i'm 16 so it's not menopause lol.

any input is appreciated :)

I couldn't find overheating/flushing listed as a side effect for either the spirnolactone or Depakote. Which doesn't necessarily rule them out, of course.

Since you know that overheating causes seizures, keep hydrated. Not just water -- make sure you are getting plenty of electrolytes (as with Gatorade for example).

i didn't find it as a side efect either but the spirnolactone says i should avoid being overheated. i don't know what that means in terms of the drug risks or side effects. its just embarrassing sometimes when i will turn bright red in class and start sweating and fanning myself for absolutely no reason. in the middle of january. when i was on topamax, it stopped me from sweating, i was less embarrassed but i almost overheated to the point of heat stroke. my parents were showering me in ice water. burrrrr

Gr33nr0se,

Gosh, being flushed is miserable. It actually kind of hurts. <<<hugs>>>

If you went to my first neuro, it doesn't matter what age you are. Her diagnosis would be "early menopause." That's what she threw at me. lol.....

I think this is one for your doctor. You need the blood panels and some extra blood tests run to rule out some other causes. How long has it been since you've seen your primary care physician or endrocrinologist, or whomever has been providing the majority of your overall care?

For years I've had an extremely red face and wobbly legs whenever I exert myself. The doc hasn't had an answer, so I quit asking. If you get an answer I'm very interested in what he says is the cause of yours.

i'm seeing my endocrinologist/gyn in a month and i will definitely ask her then. if i pass out before then as the weather warms up, maybe i will find out sooner lol :)

Back
Top Bottom