Personalized epilepsy treatment -- the future?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
I posted this link elsewhere, but I think it deserves its own thread:
http://www.cureepilepsy.org/news/story.asp?id=97

The link is to a fascinating interview with a scientist/mother who through her own genetic sequencing research -- and with the crucial support of her daughter's pediatric neurologist -- was able to find and try an off-label treatment (verapamil) that reduced her daughter's severe Lennox-Gastaut seizures by 95%. 95%!

I wish we could all be so lucky. That is, have the scientific know-how and resources + experienced, open-minded neurologists + institutional hospital support to find a treatment that makes such an immediate and obvious difference in treating "intractable" epilepsy in someone we love.

but I think it deserves its own thread:
http://www.cureepilepsy.org/news/story.asp?id=97

I wish we could all be so lucky. That is, have the scientific know-how and resources + experienced, open-minded neurologists + institutional hospital support to find a treatment that makes such an immediate and obvious difference in treating "intractable" epilepsy in someone we love.

I wish we could be so lucky, too, to have an open-minded neurologist + the resources available to treat "intractable" epilepsy. Oh, what a better world this would be.

I've been reading stuff from medical researchers saying that the gene mapping that got so much publicity years ago is actually far less detailed than what they've started to do now. They're doing much more in-depth gene mapping that they believe will help them to treat and understand far more about chronic illnesses than they know today. It's a pity it's not receiving as much publicity as the original project because it does give us a glimmer of hope.

Back
Top Bottom