Phenytek 300 mg

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sturg

New
Reaction score
I am presently taking 3 100 mg Dilantin capsules at bedtime to control my nocturnal seizures & I noticed that the Mylan Pharm makes a generic drug called Phenytek which is 300 mg. I know, especially with Dilantin, that changing to the generic can cause breakthrough seizures. Is or has anyone taken this 300 mg Phenytek? Anyone who knows info please respond, Thank You, Sturg

I have not taken the Phenytek, but I do take the Dilantin Generic Phenytoin. I have been taking this for a while now. I haven't had any nocturnal seizures, that I know of. I does make me sleepy and a little "dingy" but they seem to take care of it. But before switching anything, check with your doctor. He may go ahead and give you the okay, but always check first!!! Best of luck!!! Bridge

I haven't been on Phenytek, but like bridge, I was on phenytoin. I didn't have any problems with breakthrough seizures. I only switched off of it because it was starting to affect my gums.

I've not taken Phenytek either but was on Dilantin for 44 years and came off it because it could no longer be regulated. My levels were always either low or toxic regardless of the dose.

Sounds as though you already know when it comes to AED's you shouldn't switch from brand to generic and vice versa and not switch between different manufacturers.

If your switching so you only have to take one pill instead of three, keep in mind often times with generic drugs if your taking 300mg you may need more of the generic to achieve the same blood level you had while on the brand name Dilantin. Of course this doesn't always happen.

Dilantin being a non-linear drug doesn't react like linear drugs. When the dose of a linear drug is increased or decreased the blood concentration will increase or decrease proportionately. However since Dilantin is non-linear, if you take 300mg of Dilantin a day, and it were increased by 50 percent to 450mg a day, the average blood concentration level may increase by as much as ten fold.

During the 44 years I took Dilantin I took 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 & 700mg a day to maintain my level was around 14. These different doses were due to Dilantins non-linear pharmacokinetic behavior which can cause problems especially when adjusting doses. A couple of these dosages however were due to other AED's which either increased or decreased my Dilantin level.

I wish you the best of luck if you change. When I was on five AED's and with other meds I use to take well over thirty pills a day so I understand about wanting to take fewer pills.

Take care,

Jake, I know that it is difficult to compare but I have been on Dilantin for 30 years & since I started taking Lyrica 3 years ago my nocturnal seizures have been mostly controlled. My doc asked me if I would like to try to come off dilantin. My concern is that if somehow I miss a dose of Dilantin now I get a severe headache behind my left eye. What is the process that you used to come off Dilantin & how did it affect you? Thanks, Sturg

Sturg, not related to your original post, but I too take Lyrica (Pregabalin) - like you, it has mostly controlled my nocturnal seizures. Unlike you, I take Tegretol too. I'd be interested to know what side effects, if any, you have with the Lyrica; what dosage you take daily.
I'm on Lyrica 125mg am, 125mg noon, 200mg night, and sometimes when I'm over anxious I take a further 125mg.
:)

I take 300 mg at bedtime & 75mg at lunch. I will send you another message tomorrow on side affects, thx, Sturg

Nicholas,
The most common side effect I have with Lyrica is weight gain. I am 6ft 2 & my normal weight would be about 220lbs. I have a very regimented diet & I weigh 236lbs. I believe that Lyrica contributes to this extra poundage. Lyrica has drastically helped me because it has a glutamate blocker. I do not have Celiac disease but when I have MSG intake I will have a seizure during my sleep cycle. Usually I will have a lot of lower digestive pain & the chills also. I do take generic Keppra ER at 7pm each day, Sturg

Sturg, thank you for your info. I too have put on weight since being on Lyrica. I am 5ft 9 inches.

My usual weight is 10.5 stones. In 2009 I was put on Mirtazapine for depression, I went up to 12 stones.

In September of 2011, I was put on Lyrica, and I gained 3 stones so I am now 15 stones.

The Lyrica has decreased my seizures form 20 a month to a couple. The Tegretol decreased my seizures from 80+ a a month to 20. The Lyrica also helps me with anxiety, but I take 0.5mg of Clonazepam daily too to help with Seizures/anxiety.
:)

Nicholas,
I take 5 mg of clorazepate(tranxene) for occasional anxiety moments. Do you have any food allergies that cause you to have seizures or throw your system out of whack? Sturg

Not to my knowledge, Sturg. I tend to eat anything and everything :) I drink a lot of coffee and tea - possible trigger? :)

Everybody has a different map, as you know. Key things that effect me are artificial sweeteners, MSG, alcohol, lobster. I also must make sure I eat 3 times daily. By the way I do take an occasional 5mg Ambien to fall asleep. This is a great site to visit for me. All though I don't post that often I visit it at least 3 times a week. In your +1000 posts in CWE you must have made a lot of nice contacts. I wish neurologists would visit this site also, Sturg

Thanks, Sturg. I don't know my triggers - when I'm anxious I don't seem to have seizures, when I'm seemingly not stressed, I have seizures! I still have to find my triggers. I'm amazed that you know quite a bit about yours :) I too wish neurologists would visit this site - I'm forever mentioning it to my GP, I think she is astonished at how informed I am :)

I've made many friends here - no enemies :) It's a great site :) I hope you stay around and make friends too :)

I also take generic phenytoin at the moment 300mg, 100 mg morning,lunch and night, according too my doctors and neuro though it is not a drug that they like too use longterm

Jake, I know that it is difficult to compare but I have been on Dilantin for 30 years & since I started taking Lyrica 3 years ago my nocturnal seizures have been mostly controlled. My doc asked me if I would like to try to come off dilantin. My concern is that if somehow I miss a dose of Dilantin now I get a severe headache behind my left eye. What is the process that you used to come off Dilantin & how did it affect you? Thanks, Sturg
Sturg, My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I just now saw this.

If memory serves me correctly I reduced my Dilantin by 100mg every 2 weeks. However, I normally don't have any problems when starting or stopping different drugs. Since you have had problems you may want to stop it much slower. I hope all goes well for you and I'm glad the Lyrica is working well. I have a friend who takes Lyrica for her Fibromyalgia and she loves it. It's amazing how one drug can cause so much harm in one person and so much good in another:ponder:

Back
Top Bottom