Photodynamic light therapy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jyearta

New
Reaction score
Has anyone had Photodynamic light therapy?

I have had per-cancers removed from my face, my Dermatology said I needed to have this treatment done on my face.
I am questioning if I should have this done.

Personally I would ask someone with medical training about its validity.

I had to look it up. This is what I found:

"Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a medical treatment that utilizes a photosensitizing molecule (frequently a drug that becomes activated by light exposure) and a light source to activate the applied drug. Very thin superficial skin cancers called actinic keratoses and certain other types of cancer cells can be eliminated this way. Acne can also be treated as well. The procedure is easily performed in a physician's office or outpatient setting."

If this is the course your dermatologist suggests you go, I don't see why to argue. Is there a specific reason you are questioning or are you just unsure because it sounds odd?

I would ask why they don't want to use liquid nitrogen. It has a higher rate of efficacy than photodynamic therapy, takes a few seconds and costs next to nothing, vs photodynamic therapy's 24/48 hours or whatever it is. In fact, my GP didn't even charge me a cent for mine beyond the usual consultation fee. The FDA has sent out some warning letters to doctors who overstate the benefits of PDT:
According to table 2, Grade 1 lesions are defined
as slightly palpable actinic keratoses that are better felt than seen and Grade 2 lesions are moderately
thick actinic keratoses that are easily seen and felt. Levulan Kerastick was not studied, and therefore is
not indicated for Grade 3 lesions that are defined as very thick and/or hyperkeratotic actinic keratoses.
In addition, Levulan Kerastick is only indicated for the face or scalp. By failing to identify the
limitations to its indication, this claim implies that Levulan Kerastick is useful for the treatment of all
patients with actinic keratoses when this is not the case.

And here, you see the difference between their efficacies and limitations.
CRYOSURGERY
Cryosurgery using liquid nitrogen is the most common modality for treating actinic keratoses, although compressed nitrous oxide or carbon dioxide is also used. Liquid nitrogen is sprayed directly on the lesions or applied using a cotton-tipped swab.

The procedure is highly effective, with reported cure rates between 75 and 99 percent however, correct technique is important. A study showed that a five-second treatment had a 39 percent cure rate, whereas a treatment of more than 20 seconds had an 83 percent cure rate.18

Cryosurgery is easily performed in the office setting, produces excellent cosmetic results, and is well tolerated. Potential adverse effects include infection, hypo- or hyperpigmentation, scarring, and hair loss; however, serious reactions are rare. Cryosurgery is best for treating thin, well-demarcated lesions and can be used to treat solitary lesions or small numbers of scattered lesions. Hyperkeratotic lesions are more resistant to cryosurgery and should be debrided before treatment.

PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY
Photodynamic therapy involves applying a photosensitizing agent to each actinic keratosis, followed by exposure to light of a specific wavelength; this leads to cell death.21 Protocols for using photodynamic therapy to treat actinic keratoses vary with regard to the photosensitizing agent; amount of application; and light source, intensity, and dose. Two protocols are approved for use in the United States.22

The use of the photosensitizing agent aminolevulinic acid (Levulan Kerastick) followed by blue light exposure was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1999 for the treatment of nonhyperkeratotic lesions on the face and scalp. The protocol specifies a 14- to 18-hour incubation period between application of aminolevulinic acid and light exposure; however, a subsequent study has demonstrated the effectiveness of shorter incubation periods.23 Another protocol using the photosensitizing agent methyl aminolevulinate (Metvixia; not yet available in the United States) followed by red light exposure was approved by the FDA in 2004. This protocol specifies a three-hour incubation period.

Photodynamic therapy is well tolerated, has excellent cosmetic results, and has reported cure rates between 69 and 93 percent.16,21,24 Potential adverse effects include initial erythema; edema; a burning sensation; pain; and crusting followed by hypo- or hyperpigmentation, ulceration, or scaling.16,21

I've known two doctors who've bought these sorts of hi-tech expensive machines that are supposed to make them profits, and then they push them because they've now payed for them. It's not necessarily the case with your doc, but ask exactly why PDT is better than cryosurgery for you and see if it makes sense.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/...etterstopharmaceuticalcompanies/ucm054277.pdf
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0901/p667.html

I had to look it up. This is what I found:

"Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a medical treatment that utilizes a photosensitizing molecule (frequently a drug that becomes activated by light exposure) and a light source to activate the applied drug. Very thin superficial skin cancers called actinic keratoses and certain other types of cancer cells can be eliminated this way. Acne can also be treated as well. The procedure is easily performed in a physician's office or outpatient setting."

If this is the course your dermatologist suggests you go, I don't see why to argue. Is there a specific reason you are questioning or are you just unsure because it sounds odd?

:ponder:
I now question every Dr. saying I need anything.

I told my Dr. that I have E. she said it wasn't an issue unless My seizures were not control with meds.

I guess it's better to follow her advise, than risk skin cancer.

Yes, but Kirsten made some good points. It never hurts to ask the doctor some questions.

Back
Top Bottom