Positive EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sheripark

New
Reaction score
Hello All! My neuro kept telling me I wasnt having seizures but I was feeling dizzy most of the day, agitated and very painful in my inner left ear. In addition to that I have this menthol vapor feeling (very intense) all over my body. I begged him for an EEG but he said I Had an autoimmune disease and continued to treat me high doses of steroids. These of course did not work. I went for a second opinion and she ordered an EEG and it indicated that there was seizure activity left brain. Has anyone else out there experienced this menthol vapor feeling all ove their body? I'm curious if it could be associatted with my seizures? I was diagnosed a little over a year ago. I guess I have the petit mal kind? I take topomax. Obviously he topomax is not working because i swear i am having seizures ALL DAY! Thank you!

Sheri

Did you have the "menthol vapor feeling" before going on the Topamax? It might be a side effect of the Topamax, rather than uncontrolled seizures. Topamax is well-known to cause feelings of tingling and numbness.

Hi! Yes I had it before topomax. I am familiar with the tingling from topomax this is different. It is extremely intense like I am literally bathing in Vicks vapor rub. I am miserable today, very dizzy, and I keep getting sharp pains in the side of my head. I am overwhelmed. It really feels like I a have an altoid in my mouth. Do you think this is an aura? I don't even know what kind of seizures I have. Once they said frontal lobe, absences, and I have heard my neuro say petit mal? I am really dizzy and lately I have been repeating tasks. For instance, I will go to the fridge get the milk to fill the espresso tin but it already has milk in it! I will almost instantly remember that I just did it but can't believe I would repeat all those steps twice and not realize it until I saw the milk in the tin. That is just one of many "déjà vu" things that I have been doing the last three months. I am getting a brain scan next sat to check for tumors. I like this new doc. I hope I can figure this out.

Absences and petit mals are different names for the same thing: seizures where there is brief impairment of consciousness (usually no more than 30 seconds). To an observer, it would be as if you "went blank" or were daydreaming.

The other symptoms you've been having -- the deja vu, and possibly the menthol sensation -- may be another kind of seizure called simple partial, (also called auras).

Both absence seizures and simple partial seizures can be ones that originate in the frontal lobe.

Definitely keep track of any strange sensations or symptoms and let your doctor know. It sounds like the Topomax isn't fully controlling your seizures, and you may need to adjust the dose or try something else.

Back
Top Bottom