Is it possible to fake bi-polar?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Belinda5000

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I really think my sister is faking it.

Back years ago my mother always said she needed to on disability for bi-polar.

4 months ago my sister moved in with my mother and filed for it.

I can say this much the drug has made her put on a ton of weight.She says because of all the pot she smoke she's forgotten a lot of things yeah sure.
any comments?

Belinda

What does a psychologist think? Does she fit the criteria for it (DSM)?

Last edited:
Without seeing and listening to her. There is no way of knowing. My son has suffered from bipolar for 23 yrs. Believe me, I know he is not faking it. What are her symptoms?
M

My father is bipolar, and has been struggling with it for almost 50 years. It would be hard for me to imagine faking this illness - and difficult to understand why someone would want to.

Why do you think she is "faking it"?

With my sister it's when she's around mother dearest that she changed, and she doesn't have a man to support her.

There is Bipolar I and Bipolar II, plus anxiety disorders. Is she seeing a psychiatrist? Some of the same meds used to treat seizures are also used for bipolar disorder. I have a nephew who was originally diagnosed as bipolar, but after trying numerous meds, some of them being some of the same seizure meds I've tried, he saw a different psychiatrist. This new dr. said my nephew has an anxiety disorder and took him off all meds for bi-polar, and now is just going to therapy for anxiety. My nephew wasn't faking it, he was just mis-diagnosed. But I suppose some could fake it for attention.

she is seeing someone and when I ask her what she was taking all she could remember supposedly was the name Latuda, I looked it up.

I really find it hard to believe someone would fake being bi-polar and imagine the amount of trouble they would be in if the government found out... Also how well they would have to fake it for the government to believe

Last edited:
you don't know my sister who is to lazy to work to support herself.
I can definifely seen her doing it.

My friend who is bipolar is completely crippled when hes down. He spends days, sometimes even weeks in bed. The longer he goes, the more depressed he becomes. He can just barely take care of himself let alone function. :(. It's heart-breaking to watch him go through it and I wish I could do more to help.

I hope your sister isn't bipolar, it's so hard to watch people suffer like that.

Last edited:
I really find it hard to believe someone would fake being bi-polar and imagine the amount of trouble they would be in if the government found out...

There is a mental illness called "Munchausen Syndrome", where people DO fake mental illness for attention. In fact, they bring about the symptoms themselves, and then go for any treatment or testing, all for the attention. SICKOS!!

Check it out:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt..._Factitious_Disorders/hic_Munchausen_Syndrome

^
That is really sad if that's the case. I hope she finds a psychiatrist who can help her, pseudo drugs!!

Often times a doctor may spend so little time when diagnosing a psychiatric disability. I know my wife was diagnosed bipolar ii with little info. When she questioned the nurse that gave her the script, the response was basically, "Well, if you aren't bipolar, you are something else, and we will treat it the same way".

Back
Top Bottom