Post ictal headache magical mystery cure.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Walker, have you ever consulted with a physiotherapist about it? Maybe they'd be able to treat your headaches? I couldn't bear living with headaches every day of my life. That must absolutely destroy your quality of life.

WOW. chronic pain in the body often has other side effects that damage the body ie. blood pressure issues. One thing that has made a huge difference for me has been YOGA i am surprised no one has mentioned that yet. And some time (at least 15 min.,) in an 'inverted' position and slowly back to normal makes a huge diff in the blood vessels that no NSAID can touch. Its just that we are so accustomed to taking a pill instead of moving our bodies for relief.

I've been to a neuropsychologist and physiatrist about them. They both thought the headaches were partly due to not getting a good quality sleep at night. I was placed on trazodone to help me sleep better. I wake up less often, but I still wake up every day with a headache. Especially if I've had a nocturnal seizure.

I get really bad headaches after seizures too and it usually takes a hearty dose of paracetomal and codiene to kick it, I don't tolerate NSAIDs well so I only add those in if I am desperate.

Sometimes I find that having a cold face cloth over my eyes helps to lessen some of the pain, don't ask why over my eyes and not on my forehead, it just seems to work better

Maybe your eyes are more sensitive to the temperature. I don't have time to check for a source now, but some patients do get some joy from that sort of sensory distraction. It's all way more complicated than that. I'll see if I can turn something up later.

Not sure this applies to kirsten, but hypoglycemia is a known cause of headache and seizure. Today I've been learning about how carnitine may help by creating energy, also used in diabetes to balance blood sugar. Magnesium deficiency may also be a factor, but carnitine deficiency seems largely overlooked. Acetyl-L-Carnitine may be the best form to supplement.
http://www.researchgate.net/publica...raine_Prophylaxis/file/e0b4952cb185717b51.pdf

Not sure this applies to kirsten, but hypoglycemia is a known cause of headache and seizure. Today I've been learning about how carnitine may help by creating energy, also used in diabetes to balance blood sugar. Magnesium deficiency may also be a factor, but carnitine deficiency seems largely overlooked. Acetyl-L-Carnitine may be the best form to supplement.
http://www.researchgate.net/publica...raine_Prophylaxis/file/e0b4952cb185717b51.pdf

Keith, my neurologist was very happy to see that is was taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine.

Your study tends to show that there was no difference between the supplement & the placebo
The ANOVA results showed a significant reduction in migraine frequency across various supplemented and control groups (p = 0.008)

When they write things like
By separating the effects of magnesium supplementation from other confounding factors such as routine treatments using the repeated measures and nested model, it was clarified that magnesium supplementation had a significant effect on all migraine indicators
and are so vague as to not say what factors separate the effects of magnesium from other factors it gives the appearance that they are just manipulating results.

Also, for this to be accepted as factual it would have to be repeated by someone else with the same results.

Post ictal headaches are generally caused by the trauma of the seizure rather than hypoglycemia or mineral deficiency.

L Carnitine was researched and presented at one of the international events (what ever they're called) neurologists attend each year about 17 years ago (my epileptologist at the time did much of the presenting and research). It hasn't been overlooked. If they've dropped it as a potential treatment (I don't know if they have), it's because their succeeding trials didn't turn anything up.

significant reduction in migraine frequency across various supplemented and control groups (p = 0.00)

No, they didn't! I can honestly say that today was the very first day I had ever seen this phenomenon and this is the second one! :embarrassed:

Have you tried Imitrex? It seems to be the only non-narcotic eadaches hhat wwors for me. It is prescription, but comes in generic. Just a suggestion. Hang in there hon!

kirsten, hyperventilation is about lowering, not raising CO2. It's the lowering of CO2 which induces seizure and headache. Thanks for the education about inducing seizure via hyperventilation.

You may want to invest in a CO2 inhaler while trying to determine why you may be low in CO2.

Here's an interesting connection regarding use of niacinamide. It raises NAD which is what drives the Krebs cycle to give the body energy. In the process, CO2 is produced. CO2 makes people sleepy. This has been my explanation for why niacinamide is so calming. Please note: niacinamde and MSM are both natural components of the body. They're already in you.

Keith, basic first aid for a person hyperventilating is a paper bag over the mouth and nose for a couple of breaths to increase co2.
Hyperventilating is dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom