post-ictal unconscious, admitting into ER

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
is it normal to do triage on someone unconscious from being post-ictal when being admitted into the ER?
at my house I vaguely recall the paramedics addressing me and doing some basic triage (blood drawn, temp, bp, pulse...) but then after getting into their gurney I was OUT of it, until what I recall as some sort of assault, not knowing where I was at the time, you may know what I mean, I couldn't see, it was very loud...
and in retrospect I'm wondering if this assault I recall was some triage procedure that I was simply not able to comprehend
the hospital had record of me having epilepsy, so I wonder if that triage process is still a normal process for being admitted as being post-ictal
I'm still trying to comprehend what may have happened- I've got what seem like ludicrous memories and I have had a hard time straighting these things out.
I've been diagnosed with epilepsy since 2008, and don't recall anything like the seizures in my life prior to diagnosis
..so comprehending these processes and procedures is very arduous and trying
I wonder if triage sort of procedures are typical and if anyone else has had experiences like this

Can you get records from the hospital so you know what tests they ran? That might shed some light.

When I was admitted to the ER after my first seizure, I was unconscious during the whole intake (when I had a second seizure), and during all the tests they did. I was apparently given an antibiotic and also a valium, and then also put on Dilantin, all while unconscious. And I was catheterized so I wouldn't pee myself. That's how I found myself when I finally regained consciousness. I don't remember any of it, but I imagine that if I had emerged into consciousness for any of it I would have felt afraid and confused and under attack.

That may be what happened with you. It's also possible that you were in a psychotic post-ictal state which has left you with strange and confusing memories. They can be so intense that they feel like "real" memories even when they aren't. When my father had a fall with a head injury he spent quite a while in the hospital and in a rehab facility. During the recovery process he insisted that there had been some sort of conspiracy taking place in the hospital, involving his old job (he was retired) and his parents (long-dead). Even after his recovery, when he was otherwise completely back to being his normal healthy self, he still would talk about the conspiracy. I think it was in essence a terrible dream that became embedded as terrible memory.

Here's a description of post-ictal psychosis (from wikipedia):

Postictal psychosis (PP) is a rare but serious complication following seizures, characterized by auditory and visual hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, affective change, and aggression. Following the conclusion of the seizure, the patient feels the typical confusion and lethargy of the postictal state, and then gradually recovers to a normal state. This is called the lucid phase. In patients who experience PP, the lucid phase usually lasts between 2 hours and a week (usually more than 6 hours) before psychosis sets in. In about 12-50% of seizure patients, the lucid phase is followed by a period of psychosis that can last for 12 hours to more than 3 months (mean, 9–10 days).

that all sure sounds familiar
I'm not really sure what to do about it either
they said I had a psychotic seizure
I got hospital records of what they generally did, which also included morphine for pain (I definitely do remember the pain - white screeching pain)
I still don't know what >I< did... and I'm still not certain they knew I have epilepsy
and I do have these conspiracy issues
part of me believes that you may be involved in this because they're monitoring my phone
funny, because I haven't really heard mention in benefits of marijuana use in epilepsy of the fact that it does take one's mental state "out there", and that because these mental impedences of my ER recollection are "out there", it can have some resolution effect

like a pier-tethered dinghy that has already been left adrift hundreds of yards asea, so that when overboard from another vessel without a life raft, it can provide a safety and peace of mind
unfortunate then that its legal status in general has a criminal neurosis associated with its growth, possession, use...
faith in God as well conquers
but God, most of all, knows man's fallibility in that regard
I find that very unfortunate

Rest assured, I am not part of any conspiracy! I don't know who or where you are, or who your doctors are. That should give you a sense of the extent to which your paranoia is taking over. Don't let that part of you overwhelm your common sense. Find someone whom you trust who can help you distinguish fact from fiction and get treatment.

oh, I can distinguish fact from fiction
no I can't!
yes I can!
I say that all of the time
just sometimes I think fact is perceived moreso in conceptual terms than by typical means

like a bomb-sniffing dog
before they're trained to sniff out bombs they still smell bombs
it's just that they don't know how to differentiate, nor have the need to (until someone starts rewarding them with doggie treats and associating specific actions with rewards)
if they're a dog that's not trained to sniff out bombs it's not that they need to withhold from sensing the odors to be considered normal
other dogs are unable to detect these same cerebro-chemical interactions- that doesn't make them normal either

so there is no "fact" or "fiction" whatsoever
fiction is a creation of the human mind just as much as is the certainty of how the "real world" interacts with ones perception and interpretation!

viva la seizurlution!
lol

Medical personnel are taught to do triage in ANY medical situation where there are, or may be, more than 1 person in need of medical attention. Be it EMT's on-scene, E.R. nurses/M.D.'s, or anywhere in between. The purpose is to distinguish which person needs the most urgent care, and how much. (Someone coming in with a nose bleed that doesn't seem to want to stop is going to have to wait if EMT's arrive with someone who just fell and may have broken their neck. That person may have to wait if someone arrives who has been shot, etc. But if the guy who was shot only had the bullet clip his hand (clearly not hit a main artery) and the guy that may have broke his neck is exibiting signs of not being able to feel his legs or is in shock, he'd come first.
Triage is simply the matter of determining which case is the most urgent and requires the most attention.

Back
Top Bottom