Post-seizure dizziness

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

GoGiants

New
Reaction score
I have complex partial seizures. I was in the middle of playing badminton when I experienced an aura. I immediately went and took a dose of my medications (500 mg keppra, 300 mg lamictal) and went back to play, assuming the aura had or will stop promptly. Less than a minute later, I noticed that the dizziness persisted. I immediately stopped playing and went home. I continued to feel dizzy on my walk home and went to sleep, hoping that it would go away after some rest.

I slept for close to 10 hours and woke up about 3 hours ago. The feeling still exists. It has not gotten worse, but it is still there.

The dizziness is a slight rocking back-and-forth sensation. I can read fine, walk fine, could probably run fine if I really needed to. I had a full meal and have held it down with no problem. Still having the sensation despite rest does concern me.

Since it has not gotten worse (and may have even gotten slightly better), is this something to worry about? Should I continue to rest until the feeling is completely gone?

Those meds take some time to be absorbed into your system and start working, so I don't think taking them immediately when you feel an aura will do the trick. It's more important to take them on a consistent basis to ensure a steady amount in your bloodstream. If your current dosages don't control your seizures, is there room to up them slightly to see if that will help and provide a margin of safety for when you are extra-stressed physically (i.e. during sports)?

Lamictal has at transitional times caused a particular kind of dizziness for me. It's a bit like the spins, or what happens when you get back on land after being on a boat all day. Moving my head while scrolling on a computer page is the kind of thing that makes it worse. Is this the kind of dizziness you're experiencing?

I think you might want to take it easy until you get a sense of how the dizziness is progressing. Since you slept for so long, make sure that you get something to eat and drink, since low blood sugar and/or dehydration could make things worse.
I do hope it continues to get better, and that this is just a passing side effect.

Transitional times? What do you mean by that?

or what happens when you get back on land after being on a boat all day.

What you stated is exactly the type of dizziness that I have now.

For me the dizziness happened when I've transitioned up or down on my Lamictal dose, but resolved once I was at a stable dosage (as I have been for some time now).

Nakamova, how long did your spells last?

The dizziness has existed for almost 24 hours. Naturally, the more and faster I move, the worse it gets. I have yet to fall down regardless of the ground I have been walking on (haven't come close actually) Since my work largely involves sitting in my seat and not moving (I don't drive to work for obvious reasons), I should be able to go to work barring any additional symptoms right?

Last edited:
My dizzy would come and go throughout the day, they didn't persist. As far as work goes, I think you should play it by ear -- if the dizziness is still bad tomorrow, or is getting worse, it might be a good idea to get in touch with your doctor.

It was strange. I hurt my foot (nagging injury from badminton) and took some Excedrin for it. All of a sudden, most of the conditions were either gone or had greatly subsided. By the end of the night, I was pretty much good to go for work the next day.

I was dizzy, very tired, and was very sensitive to light. Would this just be some kind of migraine?

Migraines and epilepsy are closely related, and can have similar symptoms, so it's tough to tell. And there may have been more than one factor involved (like med side effects). But it's great that the Excedrin worked!

Back
Top Bottom