Pregnant and need some help

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DEEMO :)

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi at 3am in Australia :)
I can't sleep. I took a pregnancy test (to be specific it was 3 tests) and it was positive. I was not planning to have a baby and now I am a bit worried about the little zygote. As seeing it was unplanned I have not been taking folic acid. I am taking lamictal, vimpat and actonel for my osteoporosis. I am a little concerned that the little possum may be at risk of harm and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help it? I know I will need to go get some folic acid but is there anything else I can do?
My seizures are controlled. The only seizure activity were around my periods and were the worlds smallest auras :) that's one of the reasons I thought I may be pregnant. No auras recently.

I am freaking out. I have no idea where to start with having a baby. I thought my health would be a start. :ponder:

Thank you
Deemo :)

Congratulations :) I just had my baby. Having epilepsy and being pregnant is tricky. My baby came out healthy and wonderful, happy and I was able to breastfeed but even small seizures need to be taken seriously. I would call an OB right away and your Edoc. You need to be seen right away to have tests done. There are increased risks with the medication. Keppra is apparently the least likely and what I took. The risk of a seizure to the baby is higher than the medication risk but some medications are much safer than others so get to the doctor ASAP to discuss options.
When you have a seizure it can cause the oxygen supply to the babies brain to be reduced even during partials so be sure to take medication exactly as directed and you need folic acid and prenatals right wway. The first and second trimesters are crucial for the babies health and development.
Its not as scary as they make it seem but do take good care of your health while pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom