Prevention of a seizure, promise of future success

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BillK

Pillar
Reaction score
Although my seizures are of biological origin (EEG soon to verify that!) I have noticed, of course, that stress seems to make them more likely to occur. I've been noticing that occurring more often lately, kinda like a worry spiral where fear of a seizure in a particular place or at a social event sets off trying to figure out how to prevent one. And then my thinking becomes more frantic and increases stress and thus the likelihood of a seizure.

I recently responded differently and I'm pretty sure had success. Instead of trying to figure out how to prevent one, I instead tried having compassion for myself, as someone facing a difficult situation. And perhaps even better is having compassion for all beings facing a similar situation. If anyone is familiar with Tibetan Buddhism, the specific practice I used was tonglen where you traditionally begin with yourself and then expand to others. Anyway, I did it about 10 times and the fell asleep in a relatively peaceful state!

I've used the exact same technique! And I really think it helped stop seizures when I was having a repetitive series of partials. I haven't had to use it in quite a while but I do think it helped.

I know what you mean about worry becoming a self perpetuating spiral. My seizures are nocturnal and one of the biggest stressors that make it worse is lack of sleep. But if I am lying awake worrying about having a seizure then I am just making it more likely to happen.
That sounds like a lovely meditation technique which also might help quiet the hamster wheel of my brain so I can get to sleep. Thank you for posting this. :)

Back
Top Bottom