Problems gaining weight with medication

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
i have been on tegretol retard since i was 7 years old , and have always had a under weight problem. I am trying to find out what the causes of this is and what I can do about this problem. Can anyone help me with this or does anyone have any advice please?

I think it must have a lot to do with a person's metabolism in general. I don't know anything about Tegretol but was put on Depakote ER last fall (and I'm 53!). I was told that it often causes weight gain but, in my case, I have to struggle just to maintain my weight and not lose anymore while taking it. Maybe someone else will have some better ideas. You definitely came to the right place to ask questions!

thank you for replying to me you are the 1st person. (im 27) and ive been on tegretol retard since I was 7yrs old. also i wanted to find out if bruising is normal because i have always got bruises on my legs etc especially when i get up out of bed ive always end up with new bruises, sometimes it looks like my legs have been hit by someone. my mum always says that i cannot walk past a flower with out getting a bruise (ha ha).
Ive never heard of the medication that your on have you been on it long? and is it for grand mal or petite mal? I suffer from both of them.

Possible causes of bruising include:

* Blood disorders, including problems with blood clotting such as hemophilia A or hemophilia B
* Blood-related diseases such as leukemia
* Liver disease, such as cirrhosis
* Lymphomas
* Certain disorders in which bone marrow cells grow at an abnormal rate
* Nutritional deficiencies, such as deficiency in vitamins C, K, B12, or folic acid
* Sepsis, or severe infection in the bloodstream
* Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
* Trauma, injury or physical abuse
* Prolonged coughing or vomiting
* Medications, such as blood thinners
* Surgery or other medical procedures
* Allergy-related disorder
http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C458613.html

Kellie, I don't know about the bruising -- haven't experienced that. But I do know that some people just bruise easier than others for no apparent reason. My sister is always covered with bruishes and has been her whole life and there's nothing wrong with her. I have been on Depakote ER since last Oct. when I was diagnosed with a complex and simple partial seizure disorder. I'd actually had it for some time but didn't know what it was. Depakote is an older medicine and can be hard on the liver so I may have to change medications -- waiting to see what the next blood tests show. It has completely stopped the seizures as well as my migraines though.

I gained weight on certain anti-epileptic drugs,
as well as being easily bruised on certain ones
including several other issues. It is recommended
that you bring this up with your Doctor if you can
via the phone or when your appointment comes
up if it is soon. If the bruising becomes worse, then
go to the Hospital and they will handle it from there.

thank you for relplying, do you live on your own or do you have someone to look after you? if your on your own how do you cope?I been getting abit upset lately because where i live on my own and I cant seem to find a gentleman who wants to put up with my epilepsy and im at the age now that I want to settle down and have a child of my own which i feel like its not going to happen. I struggle with looking after myself all the time on my own, it would just be so nice to know someone was there when i need them, but its just me myself and i.

I was married almost close to 25 years before
an unfortunate divorce, but I do have a son
who is 24 ---> so don't give up hope; I was
born with this ...

After all ... you can say...

"I have Epilepsy, but Epilepsy doesn't have me!"

It can be a struggle, but if there's a Chapter, a Foundation,
a Support Group - whether via Epilepsy Foundation,
Epilepsy Foundation Affiliate, an Independent Epilepsy
Support Group, or via through a Hospital - I encourage
you to participate. You can inquire via your Neurologist
or Epileptologist to find out more information

-OR-

Click on the Epilepsy Foundation below to find out
if there is a EFA Chapter available in your area and
then contact them to find out if there's one in your
area as well.

In addition - you could if you are not far, from a
Neuroscience / Level 3 or Level 4 Epilepsy Clinic
to gather information too.

thank you for replying to me I was going to ask you if (tegretol Retard) can causes side effects like behaviour differences or problems. i have been on tegretol since i was 7yrs old and have always had behaviour problems and mood swings.
I suffer with alot of palpitations I also have a big problem with relaxing I dont know how to relax and my brain is just as bad it never stops thinking it never takes a break. and if I do get to the point of relaxing I have palpitations which sends me back to my 'on the go mood' I just want to find some ways of helping myself find the reason im like this so then I can start dealing with these issues. please help me? X

wow its so nice to hear that the medication is controlling the seizures lets hope it gets better and better for you and hopefully one day it will be me saying that to someone. let me know how it goes for you and good luck with the new medication, i'll keep me fingers crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom