Progesterone Supplementation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AlohaBird

New
Reaction score
Hi All,
I know there are several threads in the archives about progesterone supplementation for catamenial epilepsy. My question is specific to women who are completely past the "change of life". Does anyone have experience or insight into progesterone for seizures in us older gals? Would it work or make things worse?

Thanks!

I'm curious to see what folks have experienced. There's an interesting thread here: http://www.epilepsy.com/connect/forums/women-epilepsy/menopause-and-seizures
but I don't think there's been a lot of commentary here at CWE on post-menopausal progesterone supplementation. I think the general takeaway from studies of progesterone treatment for catamenial epilepsy (at any age) is that it's more effective in women who are particularly sensitive to hormonal triggers, and that natural progesterone is more effective than synthetic.

Interesting thread. Thanks, Nak.

The part that jumped out at me was that several women reported still having a monthly schedule to their seizures long after their cycles had stopped.

I was on hormonal birth control pills for about 15 years before having a hysterectomy at about 32 (but they did leave the ovaries in). I had a congenital deformity of the uterus so it was pretty much useless (had a couple of miscarriages while I was married). They figured out what was going on by doing an ultrasound after the second miscarriage. The uterus was divided into two sections, they called it bi-corneated, and it was also prolapsed.

SoI guess I have always been a bit out of whack in the "female department"

I just wonder if the hormones from the BC pills could have contributed to my seizures in the first place.

I wondered that too. I stopped taking the pill when I had my first seizures and switched to the IUD.

Also the pills that they had "back in the day" were a lot stronger than what they are giving out now.
Back then they were kind of swatting a gnat with a canon. Now they have found that a much lower dose is just as effective.

I know that now that I'm in perimenopause progesterone helps. But my seizures align with the high-estrogen parts of my cycle--ovulation and right before my period. I also know that I've skipped a few cycles, but even when I skipped these cycles, I had the exact same mid-cycle symptoms and 'day before" symptoms I always do--just no period. I really believe that progesterone would help on those days. As long as there are any spikes in estrogen, I think progesterone would help. But if your seizures aren't related to estrogen at all, progesterone would only help a little, since on it's own, it has just a little anti-seizure properties. The biggest anti-seizure benefit of progesterone is that it counteracts the seizure-promoting properties of estrogen. That's my two for what it's worth!

Does anybody know of any DIY way to test your hormone levels? I was thinking they might have at home kits for people hoping to conceive.
It would be interesting to see if I still have a hormonal cycle even after the messy part of having a cycle is long gone.

One of the reasons I want to lose some of the extra weight I'm carrying is because mu oncologist told me that in post menopausal women, any excess fat cells are like little estrogen factories. I'm not massively overweight, maybe an extra 25-30 lbs. But I wonder if that could be creating an excess of estrogen that is going un-opposed.

Not cheap, but...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Saliva-Hormone-Test-Female-Kit/dp/B00025OG1C"]Amazon.com: Saliva Hormone Test - Female (5 Hormone Test Kit): Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41F2GmT1x%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@41F2GmT1x%2BL[/ame]

Thanks, Nak.
Yeah, that is a bit on the pricey side. I think I may just get some of the cream OTC and give it a try. I found one called Natpro that is supposed to be all natural, no parabens and such.

From what I've been reading, it doesn't seem like there is much of a downside to trying it.

One interesting thing I came across is that there does seem to be a risk of being too timid with the dose. Using just a tiny bit is not enough to do any good and it can actually make things worse. A little progesterone sort of "wakes up" the estrogen receptors too and so can exacerbate estrogen dominance.

OK, my progesterone arrived. I've been taking it for two days now. Nothing spectacular to report either bad or good.
It's hard to know how much to use. Any ideas about that? How many grams in a blop anyway?

I have been taking 100 mg of progrestone twice a day since 2002. I am PCOS and my seizures have been every 3 months for 34 years. I was not on the pill. I am 50 now and have been able to reduce the progestone to one pill. stress at home has reduced a lot too. the last time the pill were late cz I forgot to order them I was out for two days! I don't get low on the pills any more. my seizures change every ten years. so I am hoping mother nature is planning to give me a break and I will be seizure free cz I am in menopause now. if someone wants to talk to me on the phone just email me at msvb19@yahoo.com

Thanks, Veronique.
Got your PM. Not feeling really great today due to a TC early this morning (in bed, not injured, just foggy brained). Not sure if this is a progesterone side effect or simply the progesterone failing to do anything with reduced med dose. Need to re-evaluate when I'm feeling more human.

Sorry to hear about the t-c AlohaBird. I hope you feel better soon, and get back on track.

Anybody have any insights about how long it takes to see a difference from using progesterone cream? Days, weeks, months?

Thanks, Nak. Yes, one of the reasons I felt comfortable with the NatPro brand was that it has pretty extensive online support for its products.

I was just wondering if there were any IRL examples out there from the E community. (e.g.I wonder if AEDs interact with the progesterone.)

Well, I think my final verdict on the progesterone supplementation would be a big fat, "Meh!"

While I don't doubt that it could be the saving grace for many women, it doesn't seem to do much of anything for me one way or the other. I'll finish off what I already bought but I don't plan to reorder. It's also rather expensive for something that shows no clear benefit.

I think the best way I can work on getting estrogen/progesterone balance is reduce the estrogen load by losing some weight. Ketosis is helping with that. five pounds in five days.:woot:

Back
Top Bottom