progress already!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cherriuz

New
Reaction score
well, My social worker decided enough was enough and booked me in with an emergency appointment at my docs. she has the power to do it last min apparently.
doctor saw me, had my other half write down everything he saw as the latest one was witnessed, she rang the neurologist who will be seeing me there and then and said we cant wait for an appointment something needs to happen now.
So, He has told her to start me on lamotrigine after him and her had a telephone consultation as they both agree its typical text book seizures.
25mg a day for a week, then 50mg daily for a week, then 75mg daily for a week, then 100mg daily for a week, which leaves us at the end of may (my neurology appointment is 20th june) and to keep in touch with my gp regular and when we reach the 100mg a day to see where we are at. She is expecting it to need to be increased more but only time will tell and they are not wanting to ramp it up too much without being under the care of my neurologist, which doesnt start till the end of june. but she has expressed to me if she still has concerns at 100mg and she feels the issue cant wait another month she will arrange another telephone consultation for some more advice on what to do next to keep me going untill the appointment.
needless to say i am pleased.
She is not expecting them to want to do many (if any) tests on me as they are already pretty sure whats going on hence starting treatment based on whats being told by my gp over the phone and the eyewitness account off my other half.
obviously unable to get a solid diagnosis till i see the team. but for now, needless to say i am very happy and very pleased with the care i am getting from my gp! :banana::banana::woot:

Great news! Things are moving forward for you! What a relief! I hope the medication adjustment goes well and that it helps with little side effects!

That's terrific. Your social worker sounds great, and I'm glad she's on top of everything (Really, in a perfect world, your regular GP would be able to make this happen without prodding, but it's certainly not a perfect world.)

Let is know how it goes with the lamotrigine, and feel free to ask any questions about it as you ramp up.

That's terrific. Your social worker sounds great, and I'm glad she's on top of everything (Really, in a perfect world, your regular GP would be able to make this happen without prodding, but it's certainly not a perfect world.)

Let is know how it goes with the lamotrigine, and feel free to ask any questions about it as you ramp up.

:agree:

Way to go girl!!

Thanks so much all :D Im curious as to how much ramping it up usually goes, from what im gathering 100mg a day is pretty low. but i can understand why my doc doesnt want to keep ramping it up without my neurologist involed. i am however, very pleased that we have the plan set for the next 4 weeks. so i shall get going on them and see where we end up, I am feeling kinda clumsy and sick at the moment, hoping this will pass!!!!!!!

Everyone is different, but it's possible you could have seizure control at as low as 100mg/day (I have seizure control with 150mg/day). The main thing is to be patient, and keep notes on how you are feeling. Although it can take awhile to ramp up fully on lamotrigine, it's very important to go slowly and in small increments, as this is the best way to minimize the risk of an allergic reaction.

Thanks again hun, the support and advice on here is amazing. Im so pleassed there is a plan for the next 4 weeks and things are moving so fast - happy as a clam over here!

That's great news Cherriuz. Hope all goes well with the new medication& there aren't too many side effects.

Back
Top Bottom