Q about 2nd (Sleep Deprived) EEG - How to prepare?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sweet Pea

New
Reaction score
I have had a sleep deprived EEG before, which came back "normal" - or at least "inconclusive". Meaning I had no events during the EEG, so I showed no abnormal activity (brain activity "completely normal", thus I "don't have seizures" according to my last Neurologist). So my new Neurologist wants to try again before she rules out Epilepsy completely.

The first time I did a Sleep Deprived EEG I did something that I am wondering if I am not supposed to do, and something I am supposed to do? And asking if you could help me out for the best possible EEG outcome?

My first (SD) EEG:
  • I stayed up for 24 hours with zero sleep. And I tend to not take sleep deprivation well; and not just in a seizure/neurological way but my body goes haywire (cold sweating, shakes, nausea/no appetite, anxiety, physical restlessness). And I am wondering if this is necessary to be sleep deprived completely? I am told sleeping some (4 hours?) was okay or my Neurologist said something about just waking up really early instead of being completely sleep deprived? But I am unsure of how this works??
  • I consumed some caffeine (soda) because it exasperates "events" for me. And that is apparently not okay and can change results?? Am I not supposed to consume any kind of caffeine (tea, soda, coffee) 24 hours prior??

I am wondering if I change these 2 habits within the guidelines It will be beneficial for me; body and brain/EEG result wise.

I am unsure of how to schedule/work the sleep (is there a schedule anyone has used?) and not sure if caffeine is hurtful or helpful and should be eliminated (anyone with their personal opinions/knowledgeable suggestions?).

I had a sleep deprived EEG early this year and was told not to eat or drink after 12 at night and wake smack on 4pm...nothing to eat or drink, just water at 9am to take my tablets and they would administer a med to knock me out...which they didn't give me because of my chemo med and counter reaction but I went into a partial seizure and I thought I was sleeping.

Sweet Pea this is a more modern method of doing EEG's but to get a good reading which the brain surgeon had with me in 97 was keeping me awake all night and when they wired me up I was gone and my brain activity was like fire he said.

Try to keep to the rules and caffeine will make your brain alert which won't help you one bit....plus if you take meds take then with water of the morning to stop any shakes etc.

Tez- I was told to eat normally. To eat regular meals for dinner and breakfast, but just not to eat or drink caffeine or sugar products. I was also told to take all medications normally.

And sleeping 4 hours is inside the guidelines per my Neurologist, but I am just not sure how to implement those hours (how to schedule the sleep: when to wake up, when to stay up, etc).

Staying up the whole time for 24 hours makes me physically ill, and doesn't seem to help produce my EEG results. It is actually an issue (for me personally) because when trying to fall asleep when 24 hours sleep deprived I have "brain zaps" and non-epileptic jerks to where sleeping during the EEG is impossible. This is is technically my 3rd SD EEG preparation because of the fact I don't take sleep deprivation well and my first EEG I had to cancel :S I think maybe having those 2-4 hours of sleep may be beneficial to where I will be tired, but not OMG sleep deprived.

I am worried I am making no sense at all? :(

I have similar issues with no sleep. For my first sleep deprived EEG, I followed the doctors notes to the tee diet wise. By that, I mean no sugar, or caffeine. For sleep, I took a two hour nap earlier in the middle of the night.

They weren't able to provoke a full-on seizure, but they were able to capture some activity.

I wish you the best, Sweet Pea!

Thank you skyfire332! :)

I do believe that is what is best to do. Follow the no sugar and caffeine rule, and get 2 or 3 hours in of sleep at night.

I figure considering the last time I stayed awake 24 hours and didn't provoke a seizure, I won't be hurting my results any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son is having a sleep deprived eeg in two weeks. Our instructions were to keep him awake until 10:30pm and then wake him at 5am!! He's five years old

Back
Top Bottom