Question About Kindling

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Melpier

New
Reaction score
I have small auras ever few minutes for about an hour before I take my meds in the evening. It goes away after the med's kick in. Is this kindling? and I'm still having nocturnal seizures.are they connected?

Kindling is when untreated seizures tend to lead to more frequent and more intense seizures, and to an overall lowering of one's seizure threshold, over a period of time. So for instance, your very first seizure might be a simple partial, or a complex partial. Then maybe the next few seizures last are complex partials, but start to last a bit longer, and then the next ones after that maybe end up being tonic-clonics, and from there on out the majority are tonic-clonics.

Basically, when your neurons repeatedly fire together a lot over time, this abnormal behavior becomes "hard-wired" and becomes a default path for your brain. So if both your auras and your nocturnal seizures seem to be increasing in intensity and frequency, that might be a warning sign that you should re-evaluate your seizure control.

HOWEVER, the kindling model doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. And in some people, even if they've had many seizures, eventually they might stop having them at all. It's also the case that different people have different levels at which they plateau -- not everyone is going to end up with tonic-clonics. And if you are adjusting your brain environment either through damping the neurons (meds), re-wiring them (neurofeedback), or eliminating triggers and biochemical imbalances (diet, etc.) the kindling process can potentially be negated.

I've been in the midst of med changes for the past almost 3 months

Hmmm

Melpier, if you're STILL feeling something or having auras prior to taking your meds, as well as having nocturnal seizures, it's time to talk to your neuro about upping your evening meds. And possibly adding just a smidge more to the dose that carries you into the evening, too. Explain to them why........I know it's a pain in the arse, BUT the goal is to get rid of the dumb things, right?

Don't forget to look into the nutrition end of it, too.........

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

That is a scary definition too Nakamova. I have had two breakthrough night time seizures recently. They were both mild, but the second was less mild than the first. I never used to have night time seizures. Now I am afraid that by abusing my body (averaging 5 hrs sleep/night this week) I am creating a pathway I might not be able to recover from. Funny thing is though, no more partials. I made sure to get 6 1/2 hours sleep last night, though.

Hey Aubrey --

I didn't mean to scare you or anyone else! Kindling may sound ominous, but really it's just common sense -- that it's a good idea for you to pay attention to your seizures, and be proactive if they seem to be changing for the worse. When I went off meds a few years ago (under my doctor's supervision) I proceeded to have a number of tonic-clonics over the course of the next several months. I was hoping each seizure would just be a one-shot deal, but then I noticed that the interval between them was getting shorter and shorter. So that was my cue to go back on meds -- clearly my brain was getting into the bad habit of seizing and I needed to put the brakes on.

I believe it was Rebecca's hypoglycemia that was causing the kindling. At the same time the meds were not helpful to her system, so the seizures increased dramatically while she was taking them.

Slowly over time, Neurofeedback has helped to train her brain not to seize. In addition, her nutritional changes have supported the healing response.

How long has it been since Rebecca's last seizure, Robin? I love hearing her success story. It gives me hope for one of my own!

That is beyond awesome, Robin. I'm so happy for both of you. Your diligence is paying off and Rebecca will be far better for it. She's a lucky girl to have you for a mama!

Back
Top Bottom