Question about rashes related to e meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks Robin.
On the other hand, having looked up the skin meds I have on the internet and reading what you sent in on Stevens-Johnson, etc. you now have me scared **** less. AFTER my last visit with my (soon to be former) Dermatologist just the last Thursday, the very next day my rashes, itching and everything became worse. And after a sleepless night friday into saturday----this is just NUTS!
I am going to cease using all meds except the anti-seizure meds and the things I have to have for the immediate future!
R97

Well just as I figured my neuro' office never did call me back, however I did receive in the mail yesterday an appt. card to see him next Thursday. Jeez, they could have at least took 1 minute to call me and tell me they were setting up an appt. for me this month, not in March or April, of course I just have to sit all week still wondering what it is and what to do.
I also have an appt. with a dermatologist in March that I had my reg doc set up for me, that way if it isn't being caused by my E meds then on to a dermatologist, I do have a couple of moles that need checked out too.
The rash is still about the same as it was, not many changes, no worse on my legs, a little worse on the top of my hands and now started and getting worse on the left side of my chest.
It is nowhere near as bad as the pictures I have found of what it looks like, however I am not sure either if just because it isn't that bad yet means it is that dangerous yet.

Last edited:
Finally got to see my neuro about rash

I finally got in to see my neuro about the rash I have, which is still bad on my right leg and seems to be spreading, however doesn't look as bad on my hands.
Anyway, it is not due to my E meds.
Now off to a dermatologist, which for goodness sakes can't get an appt,. until the end of March. My neuro even tryed to get me in sooner and they wouldn't do it. So now I have to call my Gyn and see if the rash itself has to be taken care of before my hysterectomy or if just knowing it is not being caused by my meds is ok for now. If I have to see a dermatologist first jeez it is hard to tell, when I can go in for my surgery.
Since my partials have been hitting more often again and getting worse my neuro did raise my mgs. of Lamitical, it has only been raised one time and only 25mg. now 125mg. So now I am worried about the headaches it caused when first put on it since it being raised this much. When done gradually raising it will be from 250mg a day to 375 mg a day.
That break from those breakthrough seizures didn't last very long they started back this morning, 3 mild partials so far.

Last edited:
Yes I am curious about that too.
Rebecca's didn't look like the photo, but hers certainly came and went with the med.
I am sure there are other skin reactions that are not serious, but are still med related.
I guess the only way to tell is by an elimination diet (from meds) and that isn't always easy to do.

When he looked at it, he said it does not look at all like a rash caused by one of my E meds, He said that as long as I have been on the two that can cause a rash, the rash would have developed alot sooner (now this I did not agree with because of all I have read from people with E that have developed these rashes after being on the med for a long time.)
I am still wondering if it is from my E meds, at first he said he couldn't tell me what was causing the rash, then he looked at it when I told him it looked like pics I have seen.
I just am in total confusion about it.
I am on so many meds, for all my different health problems, it is very possible one of them could be causing this rash. My neuro even at first said he couldn't see it as being very bad he could see that I did have a rash though, well it is there. He said just because he couldn't see it that much doesn't mean it isn't there and he even put on his glasses to look.
Your replies really brought all these thoughts to me, and I just felt really relieved at first, and I do realize now that it still could very well be caused by one of my meds.
I just don't know what to do, he doesn't know, my reg doc doesn't know, and can't get a darn appt. with a dermatologist until the end of March.

Last edited:
If your seizure activity is not life threatening (ie. status seizures, falling, etc.), I would suggest to the neuro to try an experiment weaning off any carbamazepine class drugs (or Lamictal/Lamotrigine) and see if the rash clears up.

Allergic reation to medications can happen at ANY time during the course of the medication. It will most likely happen at the start but then even after taking a medication for years, an allergic reaction can suddenly happen.

My husband has peripheral vascular disease which causes a breakdown in the tissue, He has bandages from knee to toe. Often there is infection and it's treated with different topical/oral medication. He had used a topical ointment Bacitracin for years. But one day when he had to have a fingernail removed,(crushed his finger at work) the ER used this Bacitracin on the nailbed. He went ino anaphylactic shock and was close to death.

Allergic reaction can be that sudden and that severe. Do you have a primary care doctor to see in the meantime? If your neuro doesn't think it's the meds, but your gut instint is telling you otherwise, I could seek out another doctor or even go to the ER or a "Quick Care" center.

Last edited:
I am on so many meds, for all my different health problems
I do realize now that it still could very well be caused by one of my meds.
... or a combination of them. It is called the elimination diet. It took Rebecca a month before the symptoms went away. I guess it took that long for the chemicals to leave her system. There have been no rashes or sore throat, or itchy scalp.

Bernard- I have went into status 2 times, once 9 years ago and the other time a year and a half ago and I have fallen before luckily only one time from a fall did I end up in the ER and had to have stitches around my lower lip and in my knee. So I doubt he would want to do that.

Birdbomb- I have read that it doesn't have to be at the start of taking the med, and it can happen at any time during the taking of the med, I've even read on other E sites about people that have had to be taken off of one because of this and they had been on the med for several years like me. I'm really glad to year that your husband got through that ok, oh that really scares me. I have been to my reg doc and all she could suggest that it was, was impetigo. my neuro just looked at it and said it was not from my E meds, and I can't get in to see a dermatologist until the end of March. The ER in this town, wouldn't know it from the chicken pox to dry skin, I am not kidding, about everyone in this town thinks so about our hospitals ER. Even some of the nurses that work the ER think so.

RobinN - I have been on all my meds for quite a while so, every med can cause a rash even after being on it for awhile? I thought about that but wasn't sure. I am on 16 different meds, I guess about the only two that would worry me the most about not taking would be my blood pressure and pulse meds. So should I go to my reg doc and check into doing the elimination diet or should I just do it on my own? As said I just don't know what to do, I've never had such a rash before, only heat rashes and thats it and I know what they look like.

Thank You All for your info. Tammy

Hi All,

Finally I got to see a dermatologist this past Monday concerning this rash, It started breaking out bad again in the middle of the week before appt. and the only time I was talking to a rash and telling it, it better stay there the way it was until I got to see the derm.

Anyway, for now, she believes it is a rash caused by soap and laundry detergent, I have to use unscented dove soap, and either tide free or all free detergent.

I have to see her again in one month and I quess I will find out then if that is what it is. I was also given a prescription for a medicatied cream to put on twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom