Question about reading

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MAB

New
Reaction score
My insurance company asked me to have a special physical because I have several health issues.

1 of the questions asked was if I could read books. I was surprised because I had never been asked that question. Actually i haven't been able to read more than a couple books from beginning to end for a few years. I also can't watch long movies or videos.

Do you think this question is related to seizures or something else? Does anyone else have this problem?

Is this a question from your health insurance company or from your life insurance company?

I've been asked that question before, but not as part of an E-related exam, it was during an assessment to determine the effects of brain damage.

Part of the UK disability questionnaire has similar types of question, and they're trying to assess your levels of concentration, and ability to focus on a long task.

During my latest VEEG, the doctor had made me read (out loud) the menu that was in my room, and also a few sentences from a book repeatedly as fast as I could when I had an aura.

I had asked him why they made me do it. He had said that they were listening for long pauses and matching them up with the EEG to see if there were any spikes.

Is this a question from your health insurance company or from your life insurance company?

health insurance company wanted me to have a special physical, not life insurance.

I can read a book from beginning to end in one day. I guess my cognitive skills have not been affected.
Lucky me!
M

MAB, can you ask the health insurer directly why they are asking that question, and what they expect to learn from your answer? It's one thing for a doctor to ask that kind of question, but maybe a bit different if an insurance company is asking it.

They sent me to a doctor, actually a physicans assistant and she asked me. I asked her the purpose of the physical and she said it was to clear up any errors in my health record.

I've had E all my life and I was always ahead of everyone else in reading.My grammar skills are lousy though and so are my math skills.

I used to love to read. I could sit down and read an entire book in a day. I continue to buy books thinking I will read them and I just can't. My attention span is so short and I almost immediately forget what I have read.

Back
Top Bottom