Question about Vimpat and feeling awful

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey guys... I've been ramping up to a total dose of 300mg of Vimpat a day (in addition to 800mg of Tegretol and 1,250 of Depakote). Today is the first day of the max dose (of Vimpat) and I took the 150mg this morning and I'm feeling awful. The only way I can kind of explain what it feels like is that it's like I'm on a roller coaster and I can feel the G-forces pushing me down. I feel super dizzy and sometimes almost fall down when I'm walking. Any movement of my head, arms, or legs makes me feel like someone is pushing down on them with their hands. I didn't know if anyone else felt similar (I know everyone's side effects are different and whatnot) or if it got better with time. I'm just sort of trying to deal with it until I see my neuro on Thursday. Any advice on anything that might make it feel better? :/

Hi RainbowBrite! :)

Have you tried taking Vimpat on a completely full stomach, or with a glass of milk (if you're not allergic)? I'm taking 400 mg (200mg A.M. & 200 mg P.M.) total of Vimpat, along with 3,000mg(total)Keppra & 600mg(total)Lyrica. If I take Vimpat on an empty stomach, or with water, I'm a total mess! Like I've posted (look for my ZZZTT or ZZAPP!! posting), I feel like I've been mildly electrocuted. My legs feel tingly, then go numb & nearly fall to the ground. It's a scary feeling. So, I have to take it & sleep it off because 25 to 30 minutes after I take my A.M. & P.M. dose I have to make sure I'm laying down because I, too, feel horribly dizzy. I contacted my neurologist today, but haven't heard back. Hope your Thursday appt goes well, RainbowBrite. Take care!

RainbowBrite, is the Vimpat any better? I switched to Keppra in January (from Tegretol) and I hate it, but can't decide whethe rto try Vimpat like my doc wants me to. I feel SO tired all the time! DId taking Vimpat with food help?

Erin

I was unable to go on the total dose my neuro had wanted me on. I ended up with really bad vertigo and double vision and it was so bad I was vomiting for hours. I'm down to only 100mg a day(it's all my body can tolerate..) with an increase in my other AED's (Tegretol and Depakote). Taking the Vimpat with food was/is helpful for me :) Everyone's experience is different though, and the Vimpat really does help me with the seizures.

Back
Top Bottom