Question about weird sensation pre-seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

matlock

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm still pretty new to this so I wanted to see if anyone ever had a similar experience to this. For a couple of weeks before my most recent seizure (which was only my 2nd as far as I know) my left leg had a odd feeling. Below my knee it felt... wobbly or like it just wasn't there at all sometimes. No tingling, no pain or anything. I could walk on it, tap my foot, wiggle my toes or whatever.
When I walked it felt like it must have surely been wobbling back and forth like one of those old-timey cartoon characters but nobody could tell anything was happening visually. Then, as soon as I had a seizure (tonic-clonic) it was right back to normal. I didn't even realize it for a couple of weeks and even then I didn't really connect the two things for a while.
Has this ever happened to anybody else? At the time I felt like maybe it was "in my head" as opposed to a pinched nerve but in the aftermath of the seizure I sort of forgot about it. If this is a "thing" for anyone else it would be handy to know, forewarned is forearmed and all.

Thanks everyone,
Matt

im newer than you are,and im not a doctor but i have been researching mainly to figure my own condition out, i have found that the term epilepsy is very broad as far as the different causes of sezuires.i always listened to my doctor when he said theres no way to tell why im having a sezuire and hes a world class doctor.anyways ive read that many conditions can cause sever trauma to the body be it a sezuire stroke heart attack or sudden death, when the body is experiencing somethingg internal like low nlood oxygen for example a sezuire can occur.I personally think thats the organic cause of my sezuire activity.ANd naturally if thats correct then youd think a doctor would treat that rather then medicate with a drug that blocks sezuires in the brain and causes too many horrible side effects to speak of. so i guess what im gettin at here is if you dont do youre own research and you dont have a real patient doctor who has had similar cases before etc... the you could end up like me taking the wrong meds. for over ten years before yo figure out you dont just have plain ol uinexplained epilepsy so dont let them tell you that before you eliminate all possible causes my friend,youll thank me later. by the way could you possibly have obstrusctive sleep apnea?

People talk about siezure "auras" or warnings. An aura is actually a seizure.

Sometimes simple partial seizures can become generalized and turn into a tonic-clonic. Simple partial seizures happen in just one part of the brain. Becoming generalized means it spreads to the whole brain. Here's info on types of seizures. There's a blue box at the bottom where you can click and get more information: http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/types_seizures

Did your doctor say in what part of your brain your seizures start? If it's in the temporal lobe a feeling of cartoon-legs could be a form of Alice In Wonderland Syndrome. AIWS is a type of simple partial seizure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_Syndrome

http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/e27891/e27265/e26585/e43013/index_en.html

If they were ACTUALLY wobbling or weaker, it could still be a simple partial seizure, just from a different part of your brain.

I'd never say epilepsy is lucky but, In one sense you are lucky - you have some warning before your tonic-clonics hit so you have a chance to get in a safe spot first.

I get a numbness in my face, mouth and right arm. It's like i've had a local anesthetic. I can start to drool without realising it. My body also feels very heavy. It's funny because it was always my right arm that started when I had childhood epilepsy too. I get these sorts of feelings on "bad days". Sometimes a complex partial will follow but generally its only simple partials.

Thanks for the info you all; it's given me some things to think about for sure. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom