Question on Depakote....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :) Whoever might take this could you tell me how much you are taking at one time? I'm on the 500mg pill, 2 times a day. Now I just want to take 2 pills at night for the first time. Thanks for all answers. :tup:

I was prescribed 500mg twice daily for morning seizures. Took it from 2008-2014. I took one pill in the morning and at night until switching to dinnertime after throwing up the meds a couple of times after skipping breakfast :/.

Been taking it since I was just out of school - 2500 mg @ Times, now I am on the 500 mg tabs Depakote ER two in morning and evening.
I tend to wonder why you're asking about all this?
Terri

My pills are for 500mg, all generic version. I take 1 in the am, 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening. I was taking two in the evening but my neuro dropped it down 3 months ago.

I also take Tegretol, Keppra and Lamictal.

Been taking it since I was just out of school - 2500 mg @ Times, now I am on the 500 mg tabs Depakote ER two in morning and evening.
I tend to wonder why you're asking about all this?
Terri

Main reason I asked was because of my seizures acting up.

Just needed to find out if taking two 500mg of Depakote was too
much at one time.

Thanks for replying! :)

-Mike

How long have you been on Depakote? I know sometimes that it can be the med in general that can cause the seizures.

How long have you been on Depakote? I know sometimes that it can be the med in general that can cause the seizures.
Oh, Bloody Hell! Really?
Any specific citations about depakote would be appreciated since i am going to the neuro for a med re-eval soon.

I was put on Depakote in 1978. I do not remember how much I was taking. Then in 1979, I found out that I was pregnant. I was thrilled!! My neurologist wasn't happy at all.

He told me that I was not supposed to get pregnant while on Depakote or Depakane.

I was still able to have children. He did not tell me not to get pregnant while on the stuff when he first put me on it.

I had my last child in 1979. I went into a coma and status epilepsy. My first status epilepsy. I would say that Depakote can cause seizures.

I was much better off of it. My seizures calmed down when he put me on another medicine.

It's been 15 Earth years but it seems like yesterday I was visited by the Ambassador of planet Depacoat...indeed it still fits perfectly to this day...granted a few minor adjustments over time :D

I sometimes wonder of what the "long-term" effects may be of taking thousands of pills (sounds really nasty when you think about it) ...but hey if it prevents me from becoming "possessed by demons" then sobeit...after all life is all about doing things we don't really want to but have to regardless of the situation :)

Depakote, I'm happy it works for some ppl I know one other who takes it, I'm allergic to it myself.:agree:

Back
Top Bottom