question for everyone about seizures and PNES

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
OK here goes,
As i've posted before I've been DX with seizure's and PNES so does this mean that i'll one day become refacroty? (sorry if i spelled it worng)

And that the meds will not work and that's why the keppra worked for a short while on the lower dose and why my new neuroshrink wants to up it and see how long the higher dose works?

I wont be seeing my new neuro till after the MRI, and meeting with the epilepsy epi doc on the 25th of this month and my med levels come back to him, so I cannot ask him every question, so I figured I'd ask all the :brain:'s here who have lived with this longer than I have and have been through this longer and have more knowledge than I.
any help would be great!

Thanks again everyone!
Mike

Seizures are considered refractory if they can't be controlled, so whether or not yours become refractory depends, among other things, on:

1. Whether you've exhausted all the meds, and all other treatments that you care to pursue.
2. Whether you define "controlled" as completely controlled, or as controlled to the extent that they don't significantly interfere with your daily life.

That aside, it's too soon to tell whether you've developed a tolerance to Keppra, and/or whether you'll develop a tolerance to all the other meds that are out there, and to all the combinations of meds out there. As you probably know, meds behave in unpredictable ways (the docs don't even know exactly how most of them work), and prescribing them is a bit of guessing game. it could be that the Keppra is interacting with another med in such a way as to make it less than optimal, and the neurologist wants to see if a higher dose will balance out that interaction. Or it could be that your seizure threshold dips low enough from time to time that your current dose of Keppra is only effective part of the time, and a higher dose would provide more of a "safety margin".

thanks Nakamova I was asking since I was DX with both and since I know PNES cant be controlled with AED'S and doing talk doc treatment has dont nothing in the past I dont see how it would do anything now and Ive (been trying) done all the things the old epi doc has suggested I do and nothing has worked I still have small sps on occasionand have had 9 niight seizures in 27 days down from what I was having before the keppra additon to the topamax so a better number but i'd like to see it lower still but who knows if that could happen?!

Thanks again!

Mike

I know psychogenic non-epileptic seizures cant be controlled with anti-epileptic drug

Since anti-seizure drugs can have a sedative effect, they might provide some help in a few cases of PNES. That said, I agree that the majority of PNES wouldn't respond to AEDs.

Back
Top Bottom