Question for qualifying for an IEP

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

They offer the same for middle school, but it is hard any way you look at it. They should make all of those classes 10-1 in my opinion.... and teach to the strength of the student.

Robin - What is confusing me is that when Deidre had an IEP, the things that you are explaining for the 504 were in place on the IEP. So basically if she does not qualify for an IEP, we will need to do the 504 just to make sure she is getting what she needs.

Yes I would
Rebecca has a 504 at the moment. I just want more in place that is why I began the ball rolling for her IEP to be put back in place.
There is a fine line though that I am trying to figure out, for a regular HS diploma vs a special-ed-with-accommodations diploma

I think its the same isn't it. Well I guess it would depend on the iep. It is not middle school I am worried about , its the behavior . Throwing, kicking, I don't have a man here. And at ten years old he already hits me. Middle school? Yea, right.

Hi Robin! Nope, the two diplomas are way different. A special ed. student CAN get a regular diploma, but only if they pass the CAHSEE (California High School Exit Exam) as well as have all of the credits needed. If they can't pass the CAHSEE, they get a certificate of completion. It basically says, that they have the credits but couldn't pass the CAHSEE.

Hey stilldancing! Your child is in an EBP class? Then he hopefully has an IEP that addresses his behavior, as well as a Behavior Support Plan. You're district hopefully has a ED or EBP class for middle and high school kids. Check and see. Also, look at the IEP or Behavior Support Plan. Hopefully, it has goals and strategies written in that deal specifically with behavior. When I had students that I had to write BSP's for, I tried to have the parent's input and make the plan workable for home as well as school.

All students must past the CAHSEE in order to graduate with a standard diploma. That I understand. What I don't understand is if you comply with all of the high school requirements, and yet your course was modified for your particular needs, is the diploma different?

It has all the stuff in there for behavior. I am in WA I don't know.Here a GED is equal to a high school diploma. I think here it is.You have up to the age of 21 to get it.But to tell you the truth I am going to ask that question.

Hey Robin! Nope, the diploma is not different if you pass the CAHSEE and have your credits. We modify programs regularly. For example, for some kids, choir ends up counting as a foreign language since the choir sings songs in Latin and other languages.

Good to know... just need to find out where that fine line is.

Hi Robin! Oh, one final note, as far as the CAHSEE requirements, districts can give a high school diploma to special ed. students that don't pass it, if they have that written as district policy. I know...it's confusing. :) My district does not currently have that policy in place, but they are considering it.

Iep

We had our meeting to request an evaluation for an IEP. The meeting went very well and they will be starting as soon as we get the paperwork, sign and return it. We have requested an Occupational Therapist to work with her also. I am so glad that we had the recommendations from the Neuropsych.

Great info... I have also filled out all paperwork for Rebecca. It has been in the hands of the counseling office for a month and I haven't heard of testing being done yet.
Next week are the CAHSEE tests for 10th graders.

Have you contacted the school to ask what the status is? You must be very patient because I would've been calling the school by now to find out what whas going on. I really did not care for the school psychologist very much. I gave everyone a copy of the Neuropsych's report and she didn't even really look at it. When she asked what would qualify Nicole for testing, one of the teachers said, it is right here, OHI. I felt like we were taking up her time as she seemed to be rushing us through everything. Thank goodness that we have been meeting with the school quite frequently and I always keep them updated on everything. I am sure that all the necessary testing will be done because of everyone's input.

Yes, I am very patient.

I know that there is a certain required number of days, and I trust that will be followed. I will look into what that number is.

Most of the time I figure it doesn't help to irritate the very people that I want help from. My life is very full and sometimes there is a reason that things happen the way that they do.

Just my philosophy

Robinn, the law states that once you hand in a request for assessment for special ed. placement, the school has 30 days to get it done. You might want to check with the school.

*chuckle* Robinn, when it comes to special ed, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. It's ok to keep the school accountable. Trust me...

That's why I let my Dr.s do everything. Because if I need letters to the school. They did the testing the school did the testing its all done. I don't know what I am doing still up. After this dumb sei.

Back
Top Bottom