Question regarding Nintendo Wii and epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello, please bear with me as I am new to this forum. Does anyone know of any adverse effects of using the Nintendo Wii Sports games on someone with epilepsy. My 9 year old daughter who has petit mals has been using the Wii before she goes to school and they have noticed an increase in her seizures. Anyone know if this could be connectioned or is it just a coincidence? Thanks

All video game systems can potentially trigger seizures in people who are photosensitive.

You might try keeping the TV, Wii and any other video sources off limits in the morning and see if there is any change in her seizure pattern.

Has your daughter been evaluated for photosensitivity with an EEG?

Hi Bernard,
Thanks for your suggestion. We will try this and see. Never been able to get an EEG as she also has learning difficulties and will not tolerate the wires on her head. Tried several times but to no avail. Strobe lighting does not seem to affect her but at discos she runs around following the lights that get projected onto the floor and this causes her to have drop down seizures.

Hi madmum3kids....nice name btw, :roflmao:

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your li'l 9 year old daughter having seizures.

In my opinion there could be two elements increasing the seizures :

The most important noted by Bernard is the photosensitivity factor. It does state inside every video game case a warning to people with epilepsy.....although I must admit I still play 'em myself, I do give myself a 'limit' as to how long I play them for.

The other would be over-exertion. The Wii is quite a physical tool to be playing with, especially first thing in the morning before heading off to school. I think it would be more beneficial to both her, and her grades, if she was to spend the morning getting 'head-clear' for the day ahead rather than focusing on a video game.

By all means, don't take the console away, but DO make a point of only allowing it at either certain times of the day ; such as a reward for completing homework, or even limiting it to only on weekends....whichever you can get away with, with a 9 year old!....and also limit the duration of the game.

snowman_7.gif

Wii comes with warning and suggestive game playing to reduce the possibility of seizures. Time restraints are a MUST. Kids get so deeply involved with these games, we as parents must control the situation. If you suspect that Wii is causing her problems, then alter her game playing.

Hi and welcome!:hello:
I know I had problems with Wii...It doesn't stop me from playing, but I do try to be careful. I've only played it a few times...

Mine isn't a photosensitivity issue. I have no idea why it bothers me. But especially when I'm tired, I do have an increase in seizures...:ponder:

Hi Bernard,
Thanks for your suggestion. We will try this and see. Never been able to get an EEG as she also has learning difficulties and will not tolerate the wires on her head. Tried several times but to no avail. Strobe lighting does not seem to affect her but at discos she runs around following the lights that get projected onto the floor and this causes her to have drop down seizures.

I am the same way, the EEG photo doesn't impart
much on me, but when it comes around to other
places - it's like "OH MY GOSH!"; the stage lights,
dance floors, strobes, disco, special effects, you
name it ... la-ditty-dah-dah-shish-ka-boom-bah,
I'm off tripped to seizure-land!

I think they need to revise that EEG photo-mode
there or at least revamp that!
:agree:

Back
Top Bottom