A question for Women on Keppra XR or Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Im on 1500mgs of Keppra XR 2 times a day, so a total of 3000mgs a day.

I was wondering if there are any women who are on Keppra XR or Keppra, if you get more emotional right before you have start menstrual cycle?

I was on Keppra for years, and then on November 4th, I started to take Keppra XR. I've noticed that Im getting alot more emotional a couple days before my menstrual cycle would begin. I didnt know if this was just me, or if it has anything to do with being on the Keppra XR?

I think that Keppra XR is only to be taken once a day.

Not sure about the emotions...but I would guess yes.

I was increased by my prior dr to 4000mgs a day of Keppra, (2000mgs morning, 2000mgs night) but I had alot of bad side effects. So his partner who I see now, put me on the Keppra XR. He said it helps with the side effects and has me taking a lower dosage, 3000mgs each day, 2 times a day, morning and night. Ive not had any of the bad side effects I had with the higher dosage of Keppra, which is good! I can tell that the headaches I was having on the Keppra, has really decreased since Ive been put on the Keppra XR. So I can see some pros and cons of it.

You might try taking B6 with magnesium to see if that helps. One helps with the absorption of the other, and both help with moodiness and "PMS"-like symptoms.

Im taking a B complex Vitamin in the morning, along with a Calcium/Vitamin D (which I take two a day of... morning and night) I have seen a difference in my energy level with taking the vitamin. I dont know about the mood differences though.

i am also on 3000mg a day of keppra. The actual med itself can make me angry or upset at any time, but it's worse around the time of my menstrual cycle.

Try adding an additional B6 by itself on top of the B-complex. And definitely try the magnesium.

Mood swings

I have a lot of mood swings , specially before my period.

I am on Keppra, but I had complete hystectomy at age 27. I take 1250mg twice a day. My neurologist said the daily maximum is 1500 mg twice a day...he had to keep adjusting my level to get it right and had warned me that we couldn't go over the max daily dosage and if it didn't get right on max, he would have to add another med.
Luckily it has worked well on this level and I haven't had seizure in 13 months

I am on Keppra, but I had complete hystectomy at age 27. I take 1250mg twice a day. My neurologist said the daily maximum is 1500 mg twice a day...he had to keep adjusting my level to get it right and had warned me that we couldn't go over the max daily dosage and if it didn't get right on max, he would have to add another med.
Luckily it has worked well on this level and I haven't had seizure in 13 months

I've been doing more research online, and Im finding not alot of drs are willing to go over the 3000mgs a day of Keppra. Why on earth my first dr increased me to 4000mgs of keppra a day is beyond me! After 5 weeks, my body was telling me it couldnt handle it! Im glad that dr is gone, and I got placed with his partner. It looks to me like this dr knows what he's doing!

Im also on Carbotrol ER with the Keppra... I take (2) 300mg Tablets in the morning, and then the same at night... total of 1200mgs.

After reading on this forum, I do think it is a good thing to keep in check what our doctors tell us. I know my doc is very conservative in my treatment. That can be frustrating to me at times, but right now since I am enjoying such a long period of time without seizures...I am ok with him! I know a lot of people take the B complex supplements to help with the Kepprage....my doc told me that he only wanted me taking a multivitamin. He said that the multivitamin had the acceptable level of B to take daily. In addition, he told me that there are studies that show long term effects of taking too much B can be permanent neurologlic damage. I did find that info on the internet, but also found studies that show it is safe most of the time.
Since I got diagnosed with E at age 47, I don't know the effects with monthly cycle...but there are a lot of women your age on here that have the problems no matter what kind of meds they are on....so maybe it is the E and not the keppra. I know I have talked to doc about my short term memory loss and he said it could be keppra or it could be after effects of the seizures I have had.
This is a great group of people who are good about sharing their experiences here.

After reading on this forum, I do think it is a good thing to keep in check what our doctors tell us. I know my doc is very conservative in my treatment. That can be frustrating to me at times, but right now since I am enjoying such a long period of time without seizures...I am ok with him! I know a lot of people take the B complex supplements to help with the Kepprage....my doc told me that he only wanted me taking a multivitamin. He said that the multivitamin had the acceptable level of B to take daily. In addition, he told me that there are studies that show long term effects of taking too much B can be permanent neurologlic damage. I did find that info on the internet, but also found studies that show it is safe most of the time.
Since I got diagnosed with E at age 47, I don't know the effects with monthly cycle...but there are a lot of women your age on here that have the problems no matter what kind of meds they are on....so maybe it is the E and not the keppra. I know I have talked to doc about my short term memory loss and he said it could be keppra or it could be after effects of the seizures I have had.
This is a great group of people who are good about sharing their experiences here.

I agree 100% that this group is the best! :) Ive learned alot of new things about E since Ive joined! For vitamins, I take a Calcium/Vitamin D one, and a Multivitamin that has Vit B in it. I can see it working somewhat for me. I just hate the fact that when that monthly cycle comes, I get be such a grouch! I mean I will cry over anything, and I just am so sleepy and have no energy! Some months I get such bad cramps, I just want to stay in bed and curl up in a fetal position. (thats if it falls on a monday or tuesday when my husband has his days off from work) Im greatful that I have this new dr that is willing to help me all he can and not give up like the dr did before. I agree with the others though.. that first dr putting me on that much keppra, is crazy! I wouldnt dare want to give a patient that amount!

I take Keppra and haven't bnoticed myself being more emotional before my cycle... The only time that my emotions are altered is when thge dosages are changed or going from name to generic (havne't figured the latter part out). I would def talk to your doc about it though, you might be on too high of the XR dose.

I am on a lot of keppra but I was told they were specifically devloped for Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and they work!!!!
I have been on every epileptic medication going not that any of it matters now I am cured but I still get seizures at night. But please look after yourself and never ever stop taking them suddenly as they could cause sudep

I will never stop taking my medication. I have been on medication pretty much my whole life, and Im use to taking my medication all the time. I have seen that the Keppra XR that Ive been on now for alittle over a month has made some changes... good changes. Im eager to see if more good changes will come about! :)

Well, so far Ive seen not any bad changes, but of course the Vitamin B has been helping me alot.

I notice that my mood on 1000mgs a day is very short tempered and incredibly unbearable during PMS. I really liked it at first because I had been on Tegretol for so long, so the changes were so positive. I think that diet and exercise play such an important role in how Keppra side effects manifest.

Keppra was the hardest drug for me to get used to. It was horrific at first. I felt very anxious. So the doctor put me on 75 mg of Zoloft. It still wasn't enough so I now take a whole vitamin B complex with magnesium and calcium and vitamin D it seems to help I also try to watch what I eat and I do 2 hours of yoga and 4 hours of walking a week. I had a hysterectomy when I turned 40. I had endometreosis real bad, I cant even imagine having to deal with PMS and Keppra together. :e:

Last edited:
Keppra was the hardest drug for me to get used to. It was horrific at first. I felt very anxious. So the doctor put me on 75 mg of Zoloft. It still wasn't enough so I now take a whole vitamin B complex with magnesium and calcium and vitamin D it seems to help I also try to watch what I eat and I do 2 hours of yoga and 4 hours of walking a week. I had a hysterectomy when I turned 40. I had endometreosis real bad, I can even imagine having to deal with PMS and Keppra together. :e:

Yeah I find myself being a huge puddle of emotions a week to a few days before I start my menstrual cycle. I have been taking a vitamin B complex each morning with my morning seizure medications, and I take a Calcium/vitamin D pill with it too. Then at night, before going to bed, I take another Calcium/Vitamin D pill with my seizure meds.

I think its helping, Im starting to see a difference in me not exploding over things that are so little around here.

Back
Top Bottom