Questioninq the use of marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
As a former RN I support the use of marijuauna for certain conditions. I am just wondering how in the brain it works to control seizures and if it has less side effects than the current meds on the market now. Also how would that help with the severe pain of fibromyalgia? Right now the Lyrica is for the nerve pain and only covers to say on that pain scale to about a 6-7, well I was never taught the new math, and my neuro wants me to go to pain management, because that's all that would help me now. Does anyone have any info on any of this, I would appreciate anything anyone has. Thank you

Hi, Tiggy'smom.

I think the biggest problem right now with marijuana is that it is too hard to legally test. The information is just not out there yet. All we know is that in some cases it has been tried, it has worked. There are so many types, strengths, and experiments being done right now, there are no exact answers.
As for working with the severe pain of fibromyalgia, marijuana is a natural pain killer. Put it on a scale, and I have no clue. I don't know if that is science or opinion or a person-by-person basis. Once again, the types, strengths, an experiments come into play.
If my child were to have epilepsy, I would rather them be on something natural. As for me, I'm controlled without marijuana.

I was curious because of the side effects of some the meds I have been on. I was on an anti-depressant and started having suicidal thoughts for the first time in my life. Thank God I was an RN and had studied pharmocology and knew that those thoughts were not mine. I immediately stopped the med and after a week and a half things returned to normal. Imagine though if I did not have that training, that scared me more for others out there. I was placed on keppra for the seizures and 3-4 times a week ended up in the ER for a panic/anxiety attacks in the beginning of therapy and the doc said things will "level"off. Then the anger/aggression outbursts started. One night my parents called for an ambulance for the panic attack that turned agggressive and the officer on scene offered me a new pair of bracelets in exchange for for either going with him to HQ or with the nice guys in the pretty ambulance to the ER that had nice people in the crisis unit to talk to. Guess which door I chose? I never tried marijuana or thought i would want to but after what these meds have done I'm re-thinking. The lryica has caused major weight gain and vision changes that may or may not go back to normal if I go off it. I can't blame that mom who fought to get her child on it to stop the seizures. I just don't know anymore.

Your floating thought process is completely understandable. I am on 2000mg of Keppra 2x/day and do deal with mood and drowsiness problems, but mine are very manageable. The miracle drug I found was Vimpat. 150 mg 2x/day. You have a lot of options before you start taking roads such as marijuana before it is legalized. It is only a matter of time before it is. Then again, I guess you should know how many options there are. :)

Knowing my options is part of the problem. Lots of times when you have the knowledge and are educated in pharmacology when you speak with docs for some reason they feel challenged and get "pissy". For example, I asked my doc for simple knowledge how the THC works on the neurons in the brain to stop seizures. I wanted to know in what way it makes them less "excitable" and less likely to missfire and cause a seizure. He wanted to know what other street drugs I was doing and how dangerous that can be mixing with my meds. How do you respsectfully say DUH! weren't you listening?

Here in Colorado, marijuana is now legal and some are using it for medicinal reason. There are quite a few "Pot clinics" in Denver and in CO. If I don't get better control of my seizures, I'm considering using it myself, too. I've been on 10 AEDs, had an unsuccessful temporal lobectomy, have the VNS and still have seizures. I also had an auto accident and will never drive again. I also suffer depression. So maybe pot will be the last resort for me. :ponder:

Check out this website:

http://www.thecliniccolorado.com/
http://www.thecliniccolorado.com/marijuana-101

Knowing my options is part of the problem. Lots of times when you have the knowledge and are educated in pharmacology when you speak with docs for some reason they feel challenged and get "pissy". For example, I asked my doc for simple knowledge how the THC works on the neurons in the brain to stop seizures. I wanted to know in what way it makes them less "excitable" and less likely to missfire and cause a seizure. He wanted to know what other street drugs I was doing and how dangerous that can be mixing with my meds. How do you respsectfully say DUH! weren't you listening?

Doctors don't like educated patients. But do keep asking questions and if the idiotic dr. doesn't like it, move on to a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion. If they are a good dr. they will work with you, not against you and treat you like an imbecile.

Learned that early on when I was a newbie RN in ICU, 6 months out of nursing school and was told to keep an eye on the residents to make sure that they didn't kill anybody. Was told to re-read the orders they wrote and make sure they were right. Not f-ing kidding you, and I was still terrified of killing someone. THAT'S how I got educated in pharmacology, (and fast).

Back
Top Bottom