Questions about epilepsy and development

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Although I have a child with epilepsy, this is directed at the adults who have been suffering from it for years. As a parent, you hear about how devastating epilpesy can be to a child's development. But I have to say, every time I read these boards and see well written, cohesive notes that are written by people who say that have had multiple seizures a week or a month for decades even, I jump for joy because despite the many, many seizures, most of you seem to be doing really well. Does epilepsy's impact have to do on what type or what part of the brain, or is it more a result of potentially missing days of school due to fatigue, etc?

Hi maddiesmom,

I developed epilepsy in my 30s, so I know other perspectives will be more helpful. But here's my two cents: In general there are multiple factors involved -- not only the type of epilepsy, and the part of the brain they originate in, but also how frequent the seizures are, and whether some amount of seizure control is achieved. In addition, meds play a big role. Both seizures and meds can potentially affect sleep, attention, memory and mood, with secondary impacts on learning as a result.

The good thing is that the brain is incredibly plastic and surprisingly resilient, and treatments for epilepsy are improving. Newer meds have fewer cognitive side effects than the first-generation ones. Studies of neurofeedback for people with seizure disorders and for kids with learning disabilities show that the brain can be re-trained, with significant results.

Hi maddiesmom

I was born with my seizures & have often had people mention how well spoken I am.

My problem is that I've always had trouble in school. I could know something inside out but I can't put it on paper. One year in high school I got straight F's except for gym. I don't know if this is caused by the seizures or a side-effect of the meds.

As an adult it was strange because I was excellent at helping others. I understood things so well that whenever someone had trouble in class they came to me & I could explain things in a way they could understand. I did fine on midterms but flunked finals, hence I was the only person to be held back a semester in that course.

Nobody has been able to find a learning disability yet, my mom was even a special-ed teacher & she had no clue what my problem was. What I've found is that this sort of thing can play havoc with ones self-esteem so that would definitely be something to watch for in your daughter.

Hi Maddiesmom,

Check out this research: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100519081554.htm

Altered Brain Development Found in Children With Newly Diagnosed Epilepsy

ScienceDaily (May 19, 2010) — A newly published study reported that children with new/recent onset epilepsy have significantly slowed expansion of white matter volume compared to healthy children over a two year interval. The reduced white matter volume may affect brain connectivity and influence cognition.
[...]
Researchers suspect that the delayed white matter volume increase in children with epilepsy may affect cognitive development by reducing brain connectivity. With altered brain development, children with epilepsy may also experience impaired executive function -- mental tasks such as organizing, planning, and paying attention which are commonly reported in people with epilepsy.
[...]

Hi, Maddiemom,

I was diagnosed only about 2 years ago, but we think I've been having seizures since my teens. Let's just say that's decades ago.

I have right temporal lobe seizures. The language center is in the left temporal lobe, so I'm still pretty good with words. I do have bad days when I just can't SAY a thing. But I can write it. Typing is a lifesaver for me.

Yes, we still have a pretty good brain after all this time - our brains re-wire themselves. Here's a link on brain plasticity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

One of the frustrating things is our meds, which can interfere with clear thinking and memory. Also, seizures can affect long-term memory, which is hard to get back. Sometimes remembering with your child about all the good things that have happened and keeping a good family history (scrapbook) will help if this should happen to her in the future.

If by some chance she has challenges in the future, there is cognitive physical therapy. They can fix a lot! It's all going to be okay.

Hey maddiesmon,

I have been diagnosed and had them off and on for the last twenty or so years...As a child I had trouble concentrating in school and doing things like cursive, math, taking tests and because of that I was in special-ed for much of my school career...

The meds were worse than the epilepsy for me.

Back
Top Bottom