Questions about surgery in general

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

notime

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi,

It's been a little while but anyway... I haven't lost but like 7lbs, but I haven't really been doing physical activity like I should or eating properly. That aside, I was looking at tummy tucks and wondered what they say to people with epilepsy about it.

It's not just tummy tucks, it's any surgery that's invasive that has staples or stitches how do they deal with this if you have tonic clonic seizures? such as pulling them or stretching them my epilepsy seems controlled for now since I've been seizure free for close to two months or little over now. I guess only reason I have had it was because my neurologist took me off of keppra (I'm thankful I've been seizure free) :D! Anyway, just wondering.

Hmm, a tummy tuck, sorry can't help you there. :) I've had brain surgery and luckily my seizures didn't start for a week or so after surgery. And the seizures i started with were small, only in my fingertips at the time. So it didn't really effect me much, so i took care of myself, didn't sleep on the side of my head the surgery was on. This one was no problem since i was on steroids and they are like 50 cups of coffee, so sleep was far and few inbetween.

But lets face the real issue, your weight, I've lost 30 pounds since 2012. You can't just lose weight overnight, if you do, it will come right back. To lose weight you need to make life changes about the way and what you eat. I did not go to gym class or do any much more active to lose weight, instead i adjusted my diet. I work in front of a computer most of the day, so i'm not very active, therefor i don't need all the food that someone in construction would need. We all know food can be our best friend, but for does that want to lose weight, you need to remove some of the things you do to maintain the weight you are carrying. So rather than eating 4 hot dogs, eat 2. Rather than eating the whole cake, eat half. Rather than eating 2 hamburgers only eat 1. And so on...... I know, easier said than done, but you have the power, the controlling mechanism to accomplish it, your brain!!

:piano: :pop:

About a year ago I had screws put in my spine. It took a few months to completely heal afterwards and I was ok with having seizures during it, only complex and simple partials. I very rarely have tonic clonic seizures, but I do have them.

Before I had the back surgery I had put on about 40lbs because it hurt to bad to move pretty much. Since I've had the surgery I've lost about 25lbs. I'm almost back down to the weight and pants size that I had been. I know if I'd be doing more exercise I'd probably have lost more faster. But as Zolt said you don't just loose weight over night.

Back
Top Bottom