questions about Vitimans okay to take

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am just unsure what vitimans are ok to take and which ones are not.

I currently do not take any, I know that some are not ok because of E and the meds.

I bought a Women's Daily vitiman and it has calcium, iron and zinc, however I am afraid to take it becuase I am not sure if it is ok to take or not.

Plus vitiman A, vitiman D, vitiman E, thiamin (Vit.B2), RIBOFLAVIN(b2), vITIMANa,NIACIN,VITIMANB6, FOLIV ACID, VITIMAN B12, PANTOTHENIC, PANTOENIC ACID, CALICUIM, IRON, MAGNESIUM, AND ZINC,

plus a long list of different ingredients.

I really want to start taking vitimans, I seem to be sick all the time along with my seizures, I have alot of sinus infections, bronchitis, I seem to catch all viruse going around, the flu, and much more and I was never like that before having to take seizures meds, I also very rarely have much energy to do much of anything these days and I really miss my neat freakness, I was still like that up until I was taken off of dilantin after being on it for several years, then when they finally found that I was having P's and CP's instead of panic attacks then they started trying me on on different kinds of E meds and more that one at a time, I am currently on 3. different ones.

Any suggestions or answers greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tammy

I am going to list what Rebecca takes.
Vit B-Complex
Vit C
Vit D
Vit E
Ultra Omega
Taurine
Magnesium - Chelated
DMG
L-Carnosine
N-Acetyl Cysteine
Biotin
Selenium (recently added)

I have done extensive research on each of these and why they are important to either brain health, or to liver health. What I have learned is that to heal her brain function, I need to heal her gut, give her a variety of the most natural foods that I can afford. Clean clear water is essential.

Health begins with what we eat. Add to that the environmental toxins that we face each day, and we must keep our immune system a peak performance, being that we are coming in contact with more and more toxins each day. Our body can handle just so much before it rebels. AEDs are another toxin, so I believe it is imperative to boost the system when ever we can. We can't always measure the amounts of vitamins we receive in each serving of fruits and vegetables, nor can we know if it was grown in a way that will bring us optimum nutrition. That is why I believe in supplementation.

Funny that we are not generally afraid to take a chemical in the form of a drug, but we are reluctant to take a vitamin. I do think there are many vitamins though that are not worth buying, so you have to do your research as to the best that your money can buy.

Of course this is only my opinion, and I am NOT a doctor.

I think you are on the right track to believe that perhaps your infections could be a precurser for your seizure activity.

Thought it only proper to add what I take:
Ionic Magnesium
COQ10
Nature-Throid
EGC
Vit D

Last edited:
See this post for some ideas.

Taking too much of some vitamins can cause problems with AED metabolism. You should check with your doc (or pharmacist) for specific advice.

stringbean,

I always talk to the pharmacist they have awesome advice on which vit's you should take with your AED's or other meds ... also tell them if your having trouble with your immune system they can give you advice what might be helpful... just tell them all the meds your on and ask them what would be good for you to take for energy ect.

you most of the time can call and ask. i would go in in person if you can.

love,
angel

I find it a tough call with traditional doctors. Many think that adding supplements is not necessary. Occasionally when brought up they will go along with me. Occasionally a traditional doctor will recommend a supp but it is rare. I was never told to add any during the prescriptives. I was never told to try any during my years of migraines.

For me, it has never hurt to begin with the recommended dose and see how I feel. I never add another until I am sure there are no side effects with the first. In my opinion there is little knowledge here by the traditional medical field, along with nutrition, so they just say it is a waste of time and money.

Back
Top Bottom