Recent Vimpat experiences

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kgartner

New
Reaction score
I have read through the existing threads on Vimpat, but thought I would start a new one to see if there are more current experiences.

My daughter has been on Onfi 50mg/day which stopped working well for her (daily partials and occasional complex partials that secondarily generalize). We started her on Vimpat about 3 weeks ago. She started at 100mg/day, and then went up to 200mg/day a week later, which is considered a therapeutic dose. It definitely seems to be helping - she's now having simple partials 3-4 times a week vs. daily - but we increased it again to 250mg/day to see if we could eliminate them completely.

Have people had success with Vimpat eliminating auras/simple partials? And is anyone on Vimpat monotherapy? If things stabilize or get better we will start reducing her Onfi soon - that will be a long process, but I really want to get it started!

Finally, what side effects have people had? At 200/day she wasn't really having any issues, but at 250/day she has been exhausted (which will hopefully get better soon) and has had some GI pain and constipation. I am worried that she will start to have more issues if we increase it again.

Thank you!

On 300 mg a day, my partials are eliminated (this was the goal when I began taking it) . This is combined with Keppra, but Vimpat certainly makes the difference. The jump from 200 to 300 mg was noticeable in effect. The only side effect for me is sleepiness, but combined with the 4000 mg of Keppra a day, it is barely a change. I'm used to it now.

I was on Keppra 3000 mg of a day but I still had a few partials a day and I felt tired all day. My doctor took me off of Keppra and started me on 100 mg of vimpat a day with no side effects.He increased my dose 2 weeks later to 300mg a day which brought on sleepiness but after a few weeks the sleepiness is much better. I feel much better on Vimpat than I did on Keppra. I have had no partials on Keppra.

Thank you both! I realize that everyone is different, but it's very helpful to know at what point the Vimpat became effective for you, and that it did eliminate partial seizures for you.

She had a couple of auras at bedtime last night, and even thought it wasn't working well she is pretty anxious about starting to come off of the Onfi. We'll just keep taking it one step at a time!

Back
Top Bottom