Results after Neurologist visit.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BIGMAN131307

Veteran
Reaction score
Well I went to see my Neurologist on Wednesday (yesterday). After I told him hold the Lyrica was treating me (weight gain, bloating, swelling of feet & neck), he agreed to take me off it. Starting this morning on only on Trileptal (900MG x 2). The visit was going pretty good until I inquired!!

First explained how I my life was doing without my Gall Bladder. I told him that I was trying the G.A.R.D. diet to help with my stomach problems. He started to squirm in his chair a bit. When I said I read that the G.A.R.D. diet also helps with seizures, he squirmed more. But then it happened!!! I told my Neurologist that I wanted to give Neurofeedback a try, and I found a woman that does it in the area. To be fair I asked if Neurofeedback was offered at the hospital.

Wow, did he go nuts!! For over 30-40 minutes he went on and on about Neurofeedback not going to work for me. To throw more fuel to the fire, I asked if I could get another round of Video EEG monitoring to update my records. He calmed down a bit. When I asked if my condition could have changed since the last Video EEG session (4 years ago), he when crazy. He went on and on about my condition not changing since I'm still having seizures. I asked if the activity localization could have gotten larger he went ballistic. He did calm down enough to confirm to me that my seizures frequency is just gotten worse since I have seizures at night. As for the G.A.R.D. diet, he didn't say much about it because I said it was
to help with my stomach problems.

Well that was quite a visit. A family member that went with me noticed something was off with my Neurologist, besides his rocker!. Since my prior visit (6 months ago) he must have been in an accident or something. He was always a big wired, but not like this. I hope he's
back to semi-normal for my next visit.

Hee-hee-hee :brock: ROCKED his little world, didn't you Bigman! Guess you're living up to your name.

Don't you just love the open mindedness of physicians? :einstein: If man-made chemicals won't stop seizures, who's to say a change in eating habits won't either. What makes him so SURE this is doomed to fail?

Don't you just love the open mindedness of physicians?

I sure do! :D

I told him that I read about Neurofeedback and how it has been help seizure patients. But
according to him it won't work for "my" seizures. It wasn't an issue that he dismissed the use of Neurofeedback, it was how he did it.

When I explained that I have read several reports of some surgery patients dying afterwards. He got all Arnold on me (Whatcha talkin bout Willis?). I knew that would hit a nerve. But like I told him, before I jump into surgery I want to see what other options I might have. He told me that he's glad I'm reading, and wanting to be an informed patient. But he questions what I'm reading. To answer that I told him that I was reading up on Epilepsy Foundation Reports, medical journals, hospital reports, etc. I knew that if I mentioned a few medical forms like here and NeuroTalk, it would cause problems. Just by his reactions to the idea of Neurofeedback, I could tell he would say that these sites are just planting the wrong information in my head.

To be honest my previous Neurologist (who IMHO is the best around) got me into learning more about my condition. I know for a fact that if my appointment was with him, he would have been supportive. He would have explained why (why not) alternative treatments work. If I could still go to him I would, but he moved too far away. I don't drive, and I can't get anyone to drive me 100-200 miles just for a doctors appointment. :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you have a doctor not willing to listen.

A great blog article by a doctor:

According to a recent article in "The New England Journal of Medicine," pharmaceutical advertising and promotion grew from $11.4 billion in 1996 to $29.9 billion in 2005 -- and direct- to-consumer ads grew by 330 percent! (1)

I can assure you that NO ONE is spending $30 billion promoting the benefits of food and nutrients to support health and cure disease, even if they are more effective.
---
So if you hear from your doctor that eating better and taking supplements has no "real" scientific evidence to support it, ask them if they have read the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" lately.
http://www.ultrametabolism.com/blog/2007/10/the_overwhelming_evidence_of_t.html

Hey Bigman, most doctors are going to react that way when their patients start talking about complementary or alternative approaches - especially if they don't really know anything about them (and most don't IMO).

I remember when I was attending a seminar for the VNS a few years ago. There was a nurse practitioner there from from Texas Baylor College of Medicine & Texas Children's Hospital. I spoke with her briefly and asked her what she knew about EEG neurofeedback. She told me quite honestly that she didn't know anything about it.

A couple of things that are important to note about EEG neurofeedback:
  • It won't hurt. - Worst case, it doesn't help. There are no permanent adverse side effects from trying it.
  • It's not on the fringe - FACES sponsored a study of it at NYU recently.
  • It's not a quick fix. - It can take 5-6 months before it kicks in and benefits are fully realized.

Bigman when I lived in Montreal, Canada , the nueros went crazy their because I used vitamins and saw an acupuncturist. I am so use to their negativity , they can't deal with being shown up , their chemicals are always better ,even as it kills you.

What feels great is when your choice of altertanative treatment shows them up!!!!!!!!

Be patient and do what you believe and trust!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck
Riva

Well that was quite a visit. A family member that went with me noticed something was off with my Neurologist, besides his rocker!. Since my prior visit (6 months ago) he must have been in an accident or something. He was always a big wired, but not like this. I hope he's
back to semi-normal for my next visit.

Hooray for you Bigman, for standing up for your health! Now, "just keep on truckin". If you are thinking about surgery, or thinking it is your 'only' option, you may want to contact Sig Othmer at Spectrum EEG. I wrote him once and think he may have had some clients who didn't need surgery after neurofeedback training. There's a contact link on their homepage:
http://www.eegspectrum.com
Also, there is a biofeedback group on Yahoo! A very large one with many professionals. Anyone can join and you can ask there whether anyone has had clients who were no longer were candidates for surgery after neurofeedback training.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/biofeedback/?yguid=64489220
Your neuro reacted like mine did when I suggested neurofeedback for seizures. Looking at Robin's post about the drug $ales, you have to wonder if docs these days are being educated or indoctrinated.

Zoe, I don't think the Othmers are affiliated with EEG Spectrum anymore. You can find them at EEG Info or the Brian Othmer Foundation. Links to all these places are on the CWE Resources Page

The visit was going pretty good until I inquired!!
I told him that I was trying the G.A.R.D. diet to help with my stomach problems.

He started to squirm in his chair a bit. When I said I read that the G.A.R.D. diet also helps with seizures, he squirmed more. But then it happened!!! I told my Neurologist that I wanted to give Neurofeedback a try

Wow, did he go nuts!! For over 30-40 minutes he went on and on about Neurofeedback not going to work for me.

Well that was quite a visit. A family member that went with me noticed something was off with my Neurologist, besides his rocker!. Since my prior visit (6 months ago) he must have been in an accident or something. He was always a big wired, but not like this.

I hope he's back to semi-normal for my next visit.

:soap:

Nice Show!

Let us know how the SQUEAL goes!

;)

Back
Top Bottom