Saw the Neuro today ... he gave me a choice...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sjconner

New
Reaction score
I haven't had a seizure since May 29th. At that time I was ramping up on lamotrigine. I went up to 150mg twice a day and had horrible headaches. In July, he brought me back down to 125mg twice a day. My last seizure was at either 100mg or 125mg twice a day. I can't remember which one.

My trough level is in the lower end of the therapeutic range. He gave me a choice. I could stay where I am and see how it goes. Or I could add another med and deal with new side effects. He said that either way there was no guarantee that I would be seizure free - "only time will tell". I chose to stay with the med I am on. I guess that I will add another med later; if I need to.

I also got "the look" because I haven't been calling when I have a seizure. :soap: I really like my neuro ... he is the only one of my doctors that does not make me feel like a seventh grade science fair project!

Do you have side effects at this lower dose of lamotrigine? If not, I would (because I did lol) consider adding in a second medication. While the likelihood of side effects increase with the more medications you are on, that is no guarantee. And if you have success with seizure control while keeping the doses of two medications low, you are less likely to experience side effects from either of them.

Thanks!!!

I am actually kind of torn. I was on Topamax before Lamotrigine. That was awful it was like I was high. I had this urge to sing the Smurf song when I was teaching my Senior Government class about Social Contract Theory :elephant: I teach at a residential school for less than angelic 16 - 18 year olds. I was waiting for them to ask me to share whatever I was taking because it must be pretty good. I have to be on my toes all the time.

I don't have any real side effects from the lamotrigine. I am really unsure of what to do. I think I am going to call my Primary Care doc to see what he thinks.

sjconner

Personally if you can get away with one drug, stick with it but that is only if its helping you.

One medicine would be better than two, and would reduce the monetary cost as well. Ugh, the dreaded 'look'. You can also hear the 'dreaded look' in the receptionist's or nurse's voice.

I say if it's not broke, don't fix it. No seizures since May is pretty good. I'd only add the second med if your seizures return or get out of control.

Over the last six months my seizures have gotten worse. They started last year; I had three minor simple partials (two in the spring and one in October). No problem. I can handle that ... I knew what was going on and I could do stuff. They were just weird. No seizures until February when I started having complex partials with impairment of consciousness. I was having about one or two a month. The seizure at the beginning of May was in the middle of the night and was awful. Based on my husband's description and how I felt later, I suspect it was more than a complex partial. The one at the end of May was horrible as well. I woke up and didn't know anything ... My life was a totally blank slate. It took a long time to remember anything and figure out the who, what, where, when, why, etc. The rest of the day was shot as well. I can tell that my neuro is concerned about how quickly things have gotten worse. I can see it on his face every time I see him. It scares me - I don't think he knows that I can see it on his face.

I wonder why he did not try to influence me one way or the other? I have been at 125mg 2xday for only about a month and a half. When I was referred last December, I refused to start any meds (later that month I changed my mind). He was not happy when I refused ... he told me that I should seriously reconsider my decision. There is no explanation for why I am suddenly having seizures. They keep changing and do not have any pattern or seem to have any triggers (I keep a detailed journal). I wonder what is going to happen next?

I'm sorry :( for what you're dealing with. I know that feeling of not knowing what shape they are going to morph into next. I've been there myself and it's frightening and confusing. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will bring you seizure-free months to come.

Back
Top Bottom