Saying Something Out of the Blue

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Melpier

New
Reaction score
Has anyone just said something that made absolutely no sense considering the situation you were in. I'll close my eyes and all of a sudden I'll say something that makes no sense. I don't know why this happens. Is it seizures, meds, or something else. What do you think?

Are you conscious when you say this? I am just learning I do this more than rarely. Sometimes I am conscious, sometimes I don't remember it at all, and sometimes I have this feeling like I had been trying to tell the person I was with something important, but I couldn't find the words and I don't remember saying what I did say instead, or what it was that I had felt I needed to tell them in the first place. Sometimes I will say oh**** but in a cheerful way and not in an angry way and not at all to do with what is going on around me. I don't think it is the meds, or any particular meds anyway, because I added this to the repertoire about 3 years ago and I have gone through a number of different meds since. What type of seizure makes you say these weird things?

Yup

I say weird things, thinking I'm following a line of conversation. Not even close.

I think speech issues are related to where in the brain the seizures happen. They are more likely with Frontal Lobe Epilepsy, and in simple partial seizures. If they start to happen a lot, it may be worth checking with your doc.

Complex partial seizures are also associated with garbled speech. Also, during heightened emotion, or stress (even positive stress, like intensely happy moments) the language areas may be affected as part of the seizure.

I remember I had a few months spell where my speech was affected after SP seizures. I couldn't speak properly, when I tried to say certain words they all ended with a "au" sound. Also sometimes I couldn't understand if what I was saying made sense, even if it did.

Most of the time after a SP I get really spacey and forget the names of people, places, and things, but it does not affect my memory of numbers at all.

For example right afterwards I can remember the number portion of my fiances' license plate but not the letter portion.

Garble Speech

I agree with Nakamova. My mother had a tumor by the speech area of her brain and her speech / words were completely out of whack. Prior to my epilepsy surgery they tested that area to ensure my speech would not be affected and thankfully it wasn't. So, my guess is Nakamova is correct in depending on where the seizures are coming from. I never had a problem with speech but rather visual memory (right temp. lobe). When they had given my mom steriod (anti inflammatory) her speech went back to normal immediately. Perhaps you can discuss options with your doctor...obviously not steriods but perhaps something if this causes too many problems.

My wife had some strange things like this happen when she was titrating up on Depakote. Very strange because we didn't know if it was a seizure or the meds either. There was one time that she was having a convo with her friend and blurted out something about barbies in the bed, apparently a line from Friends that she was watching earlier in the day. Totally made no sense. She realized she had said it after and we all got a good chuckle out of it.

This must have happened at least 3 or 4 times during that time frame. Along with major fatigue, mood swings, and all kinds of other crazy things. The thing is, this hasn't happened in a couple months now since she's gotten stable on the 1000mg of Depakote. I really believe it was either the meds or her seizures changing a bit. Whatever the case, it doesn't happen any more. So either she got used to the meds and the SE's went away or whatever type of seizure it was is under control. Not entirely sure which, just glad all those strange happenings aren't going on anymore.

Back
Top Bottom