scents/smells

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seetseet

New
Reaction score
Does anyone else smell different scents or smells, when others don't?
My neurologist said it can be some kind of seizure or pre-seizure thing? And I was in rush and was keen to get out of the appointment asap, so I didn't really listen...
But it's about -2 ºC outside at the moment and I keep smelling this amazing coconut (like that suntan oil or surfboard wax) and this fantastic night jasmine that I have only smelt a full blown humid summer night.
And yes I am currently not on any illegal drugs just my usual 750mg keppra...
:) well let me know

There have been quite a few threads on here about olfactory hallucinations as types of aura before a seizure, as well as changes between what we recognise as various different smells/tastes during other partial seizures.

A few people have reported them as hallucinations like yours, when they didn't feel like they were having a seizure (but may well have been having mild ones).

So I don't think you're on your own!

I sounds like a partial seizure, an olfactory hallucination or as I call them, phantom odors. Be happy that what you smell is pleasant. In most cases it isn't. Yesterday I getting whiffs of cigarette smoke when I knew there was no one around but me. I came home after work and checked my med box and had missed my morning dose of lamictial so I think it was a minor breakthrough mild PS. Thankfully mild, as most of my PSs are not mild by any streach of the imagination.

Keep in mind that your nose can be very sensitive. There may be something around with that scent even in the cold weather.
A simple hint of a smell (if it is a hallucination) can really stick with you, so it can very possibly be a partial seizure. Smell and memory are very connected. It will linger in your mind.

I get a strong sickly sweet "hormone" smell after an aura. If I get the smell I know I'm in for a full blown seizure. If I only get an aura but no smell, then no seizure will follow... like a little fun game of roulette as to which way it's going to play out.

I call it a hormone smell as it reminds me of the sweet hormone taste of my wifes lips (from a kiss) in the latter stages of her pregnancy...crazy huh.

Last edited:
I sometimes experience phantom smells of mold or cheese. Every time this happens I start smelling around on myself...feet, armpits...never can seem to locate anything that smells even remotely repulsive to explain these odors.

Smells am

I am 53 and had my third seizure a week ago yesterday. The first when I was 18, second at 34. About two weeks before having the last one, I would intermittently smell cigarette smoke. Enough to where I would actually hold my breath just like you would if you were to walk by someone smoking and inhaled a big wiff of second hand smoke. Preceding The other seizures I didn't experience this. This last one landed me in the hospital for one night. After a cat scan, ekg and Mri the results we inconclusive. However, my back is really messed up. Lower and upper. Can anyone tell me how long this back pain lasts? The seizure I had in my thirties caused some back issues, but not his bad.
Thank you!

I'm assuming you had a tonic/clonic seizure. Its always different. my worst seizure left me with sore muscles all over. I stayed in bed and my muscles ached for about two out three days. For some here, that is a walk in the park. Other seizures I have woken up with no pain. Just depends on the situation and individual. Good luck.

Am smell

Thanks for the info.. It's been almost 2 mos. on anti seziure meds and doing alright. The back is still pretty messed up. I don't think it's just muscular.. Has anyone experienced some semi serious back injuries from a seziure? :ponder:

I have phantom odors all the time when I have an aura. Sometimes I'm like a bloodhound, but mostly I smell rubbing alcohol and metal.

I get gasoline or something burning. The burning can smell like a forest fire, but usually has a more chemical/electrical smell.

My daughter just started having olfactory hallucinations a couple weeks ago. She says it's a dirt smell, like wet potting soil for plants.

It seems my olfactory hallucinations have lessened since starting medication but my sensory hallucinations are as bad as ever. The olfactory hallucinations always bothered me more than the sensory hallucinations (heavy arm from shoulder to elbow) but both leave me exhausted.

My daughter just started having olfactory hallucinations a couple weeks ago. She says it's a dirt smell, like wet potting soil for plants.

Has she had other seizure symptoms besides the olfactory hallucinations? The olfactory hallucinations started long after the sensory hallucinations with me.

Has she had other seizure symptoms besides the olfactory hallucinations? The olfactory hallucinations started long after the sensory hallucinations with me.

I don't think she's had sensory hallucinations but I'm not sure. For the past 10 years she has auras with a feeling of deja vu that sometimes then lead to a partial complex seizure. The olfactory hallucinations are really new and don't come before a typical seizure (but maybe it is a seizure in itself?)

I don't think she's had sensory hallucinations but I'm not sure. For the past 10 years she has auras with a feeling of deja vu that sometimes then lead to a partial complex seizure. The olfactory hallucinations are really new and don't come before a typical seizure (but maybe it is a seizure in itself?)

it is my understanding that if an olfactory or sensory hallucination does not progress to another type of seizure the hallucinations are seizures. They are simple partial seizures.

Back
Top Bottom