Segway?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

notime

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi,

In my state it is required by law that you must be seizure free for a year, and since I just had one almost a month ago (been free since but I don't know if it's treated) I'm sick of staying in my room with no ability to get around and there are a lot of hills and so forth so a bike it would be hard to get around on.

I was looking at segways, I couldn't afford it but I'm considering getting one if I can ever get it controlled enough. Does anyone here use one? I see nobody using it in my town, but it is a town with only a 3000 population so I'd r ide in style haha kidding. At least it'd be a way to get around.

People here ride around with dirt bikes and so forth in residential areas and they don't get fined or anything... So, I think this should be legal.

How safe is it with people with epilepsy? I know you may fall, but helmet should at least protect you. I think it would be a good idea if I can get around. I heard they can go at least 10 to 20 miles depending on the one you use and in really where I live college, and so forth is only 2 miles or so.

Would it be a good idea to consider? I'm thinking about if I can get them under control applying for a job and I think I could manage it. Plus I could also attend GED classes and so forth.

First thing you need to do is get your seizures under control. :)

I understand your frustration about mobility. If you are really interested in Segways, you should check with your local Dept Of Motor Vehicles (DMV) & Dept. of Transportation (DOT). Another place you can check is here:

http://www.segway.com/support/regulatory.php

I hope this helps you. :)

I myself would like to get a "tadpole recumbent bicycle". :)

Well, they seem to be good enough for mailmen :)

Here's a link to an ebay search for the v2 models (shockingly expensive :/ )

If they're lax on dirt bikes zooming round in your small town, how about a golf cart? - cheaper, 4 wheeled, sit-down, roofed, and marginally safer I'd guess :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom