Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Had one it did/does not help.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not want or do not need one.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JRuner

New
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this (that they would like to share?) Or with seizure response dogs for that matter? Just curious for my daughter and myself. If you don't want to share that fine too. General service dog comments are welcome also.

Thanks.

My service dog doesn't alert me that a seizure is coming, but he does tell me when I've had a complex partial. It's the only time he howls. Sometimes it's the only way I know I've had one, and knowing is important. Since he's a loud howler it also alerts others that I'm having a seizure with altered conciousness. For some reason he doesn't do this when I'm having simple partials. I didn't train him to do it, he just does. But it's only got about 40% reliability. He misses it sometimes. Or maybe he's howling while I'm unconcious and he stops when I stop, and I don't know about it.

He also reminds me to take my medication. In his little doggie head he's asking for a treat at the right time of the day, and he's really insistant until I take my medicine and then give him his snack. If I'm asleep in front of the TV or in bed he barks and pounces on me until he gets what he wants. I trained him to do this by giving him a treat at exactly the time I take my meds, and only then. No treats any other time. It only took about 3 weeks to train him.

He also carries an emergency container of my meds. I've had the bottle fall out of my purse before (or did I leave it somewhere?), and I didn't have my afternoon dose. He never loses it. He also carries a medic alert card with seizure instructions. The pocket of his vest says "open me in emergency". Thing is, if I had a complex partial I'm not sure anyone would think it is a seizure emergency or would open the pocket of his vest.

I think having my dog with me increases medication compliance and lowers the number of seizures I have overall. He's a very useful little guy.

I never even thought about a dog helping with meds which I miss and lose a lot!
For my daughter I think it would be really useful as she takes a lot of meds and it might even make her feel a little safer in social situations.

If you train the dog yourself use an existing family dog, or if you buy one, get a really SMART dog that is even-tempered (not terribly reactive to stuff). Having the right dog helps. One source might be dogs that wash out as guide dogs, if you have a training organization in your area. Those dogs still may have the ability to be a service dog, just not sharp enough to be a guide dog. They might be willing to donate the dog to you. Probably wouldn't train it, though.

My dog was my pet, and over time he learned to recognize my seizures.

I suspect the complex partials where he isn't howling, he really is howling. He just stops when I come out of it. I live alone so no one would hear it.

I am trying to get one now. I am really hoping I get one, but we will see. I think it will help me a lot. Can people tell me stories and other instances where their dog helped them. Also have you had any problems taking them some places. I want to get ALL the facts before hand. What did you learn that you wished you had known before hand, but learned afterwords? I have two outside dogs that come inside their crates when it is south Texas hot during the day otherwise they are outside. Do you think this will hurt my chances? I heard you can't own any other dogs. Do you have to have a certain type of seizure? Any valuable information would be great!

FYI - my doctor changed the diagnose, for those who know me a little, to complex partial only.

I had a coonhound that would lay on me and lick my face while I was having a seizure. Someone stole him out of our yard though. I now have a shih-tzu that is utterly terrified of me after I have a seizure...she will not let me anywhere near her and runs and hides in the bedroom. Not the kind of response you would want but a response nonetheless I guess.

Back
Top Bottom