Seizure dogs anyone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Lately I've been getting suggestions to get a seizure dog to alert me of oncoming seizures. Does anyone have or considered getting one? I've never had a doctor that recommended one. If the dogs are really effective, maybe the doctors and the drug makers don't want you to know because they will cut into their profits...just my theory :)

Diana

I hear that they are awesome. I don't have one,persay, but my pup always follows me around if she thinks something is about to go down. (hopefully not me :) )

A friend of mine had one. They're great because they can look out for you if you have tonic/clonic seizures.

I know that it's almost impossible to have one if you don't have tonic/clonic.

As far as them cutting into profits of pharmaceutical companies. I don't think people would stop taking meds just because their seizures are predicted. I'd think people would still want to get rid of or at least control their seizures.

Orchids,

Welcome to the forum!

I have a seizure alert dog. He usually gives me at least a few second's notice when I'm going to have a seizure. Sometimes he signals when I'm having a minor aura (feeling of foreboding), so I get much more notice ahead of time. He also reminds me to take my medication on time.

He trained himself to alert me to my seizures. It took me awhile to figure out that's what he was doing. He only gets it around 60-70% of the time, but even that much helps. He was profesisonally trained to remind me about my meds. He's pretty accurate - 10 min. either way.

No doc recommended a dog to me, either. I don't think my neuro believes in them. Luckily, unless you are going to fly with the dog, you don't need a doctor's note, professional training certificate, or anything else for a dog to be a service dog. (Per the ADA) He just needs to be trained to perform a service that is specific for your disability. There are a lot of things a dog could do for you - seizure alert, a balance/walking assist dog, seizure assist, etc.

I only have partial seizures, but it's important to me that my service dog is with me, especially now that I can drive again. My dog could help prevent an accident. When he signals I pull the car over fast, because I don't know if it's a simple partial or a complex partial coming on. If it was a complex partial where I lost consciousness I'd need to NOT be driving. Don't know if a few seconds is enough time to pull over - that's why I don't drive on freeways any more. Ony surface streets where I'm going slower and they have a shoulder. It's been all simple partials (consciousness retained) lately, thank goodness. So not as much of an issue.

Here are links to find possible training organizations near you:
http://www.deltasociety.org/Page.aspx?pid=452
http://wolfpacks.com/products/servicedog/trainers.html

I don't know if my cat knows when I having a seizure coming on because it just hits me, sometimes I don't even know that I've had it either.

But if I've had a seizure my cat won't get off of me. I'll lay down on the couch and he lays on me and won't let me move. He's a pretty big boy so he's not that easy to push off either.

I guess he just want's to make sure his mommy is completly ok before she starts moving around again.

So much for my seizure dog. Did I say he's only about 60-70% accurate? I woke up to a seizure tonight and where was the little guy? Sleeping a really nice deep sleep. It would have been nice and nearly not so scary to be woken up by him first, before that seizure.

Endless,

Sorry about your seizure this a.m. I wish there was some kind of implant that would measure unusual brain activity and alert you of it minutes ahead of time so that you'd be able to get out of dangerous situations such as driving, or in my case, just holding my son. I'd be devastated if I hurt him.

Back
Top Bottom