Seizure or a dream?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I very distinctly remember having a conversation while sitting in the living room with my husband last night. My parents are having their house remolded and he told me that the contractors had spilt something and what they used to clean it up smelled very bad, the whole house stunk. Then I saw my mom drive down the road for word 2 hours early, when it was light out, she usually doesn't leave until it is dark. Both of us said that she probably couldn't sand the smell and had to get out of the house.

I eat lunch with my dad every day and I'd asked him what had been spilt and if the house still smelled. He had no clue what I was talking about. I told him that I'd seen my mom leave for work early and he said that she'd actually left about a half hour late. He said that she hadn't left the house at all during the day except when she went to work.

I asked my husband about it too later in the day after he woke up, he works night turn, and he had no clue what I was talking about.

After I came home from lunch I started thinking about it I couldn't figure out when my husband talked to my dad about this because I don't remember him leaving the house and he doesn't really talk to my parents on the phone. I can't remember if I knew about having this conversation before I went to bed or not.

Usually I can tell when something is a dream, but this was so real I swear it actually happened. I don't know if I'd had a seizure and thought all this up during it or if it could have been a dream?

I don't know if I've ever had one of those and I'm not really sure what they are. I don't know if I have sleep seizures either.

It was just a joke my dear...

Seriously though it just sounds like normal epileptic activity...nothing to be concerned about honey just try to relax and clear your mind...I'm sure if it was a dream then you'll know it in time...I myself have had similar "odd" moments where the ability to distinguish reality from reality is distorted...so like I said peace be still :) (for the time being)

Last edited:
I've had dreams that feel very "real", but what you describe sounds a bit different. This makes me think what you experienced was a seizure. Make a note of it, hopefully it won't happen again!

I've had dreams that feel very "real", but what you describe sounds a bit different. This makes me think what you experienced was a seizure. Make a note of it, hopefully it won't happen again!

Why should it not happen again? Is there some unseen and ominous harm lurking about waiting to strike? I don't see any harm here...in fact I see opportunity...the opportunity to learn from this experience and hopefully gain some insight/inspiration...

Not everything has to be automatically labeled as harmful just because a person thinks it might be...

Val honey...I suggest writing in a diary...it might help you with some self-reflection...but if you already do then great! Best wishes my dear :)

Last edited:
If it's a seizure, it's not really something you'd want to happen again.

How weird, I don't know as something like that has never happened to me. I dream every night but nothing that strange. I'm sorry I'm no help.

MrE, I don't think she's your honey, or your dear.

If it's a seizure, it's not really something you'd want to happen again.

Yes of course but you missed my point entirely...that or you chose to validate yours over mine...

I was simply wanting to share how I felt about said situation and maybe just maybe aid in some form or another :)

MrE, I don't think she's your honey, or your dear.

They are simply terms of endearment...I don't know how they talk where you are from but here we use them with all the people to express love and care for them...there was absolutely no harm intended...but if Valerie feels uncomfortable with me using said terms then I will gladly refrain...and I do believe she can speak for herself :)

Valerie, sometimes I have had those things happen to me. An odd smell is an aura. An aura is a seizure.

Even though it was weird, some seizures are weird for me.

Valerie, sometimes I have had those things happen to me. An odd smell is an aura. An aura is a seizure.

Even though it was weird, some seizures are weird for me.

Seizures can manifest in the most unpredictable ways and disguise themselves very easily... (especially in plain sight)

For me sometimes I can't tell if I'm just simply lost in deep thought (like any other "normal" person would be) or having a moment (seizure)...whatever it is I try not to over-analyze it because it could actually make it worse/more complicated than it needs to be...but this isn't always the case...like I said trial and error...one must not assume but simply gather data and learn from it for future reference...

With that said...my wife is always saying how I have a "super-nose" and am always smelling things that aren't really there...even if they are...

Remember we all have different brains regardless of if we have the same state of mind ;)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

This just seemed so weird and I wanted to know if anything like that has happened to anyone else.

I always keep track of my seizures and let my neuro what happened.

Thanks everyone!

This just seemed so weird and I wanted to know if anything like that has happened to anyone else.

I always keep track of my seizures and let my neuro what happened.

You're most welcome and glad to hear! :)

Do my terms of endearment offend you Valerie? If so then I will immediately stop...

Do my terms of endearment offend you Valerie? If so then I will immediately stop...

You didn't offend me at all I think it was more that I didn't understand what you were saying because of the way you were wording them. You may be making jokes about things but it's very hard to type something as a joke than it is to actually say it to someone. I just realized now that you'd said dream/scream and not dream/seizure. I'm sure I've done that too in threads before.

You didn't offend me in any way and you did give me some good advice.

You didn't offend me at all I think it was more that I didn't understand what you were saying because of the way you were wording them. You may be making jokes about things but it's very hard to type something as a joke than it is to actually say it to someone. I just realized now that you'd said dream/scream and not dream/seizure. I'm sure I've done that too in threads before.

You didn't offend me in any way and you did give me some good advice.

Great! and I'm sorry...I will do my best to speak more clearly from now on...I didn't mean to confuse you...and yeah it can get a little weird trying to say exactly what is on your mind online or in text...but we're trying and that's what matters most ;)

Valerie, have you had anymore dream/seizures? Are you feeling better?

Valerie, have you had anymore dream/seizures? Are you feeling better?

Yeah I'm concerned too...I remember before I was on Depakote (which I've been taking for like 16 years now)...they started me on Tegretol but it didn't do anything and I was having full blown fall on the floor and seize in a fetal position with eyes rolling in back of head...if not that I would like constantly drop/forget things...space out a lot whenever someone was talking to me and just feel extremely distant like I was in deep trance...sometimes it would feel like someone kicked me in the back of the leg and sometimes I would begin to hyperventilate...but anyway...the Depakote controls I guess about 90% of my seizures...they would say I would mumble a lot incoherently and randomly say and do a lot of "weird, bizzare, and disturbing things" and I would just look at them like :eek:

Valerie I hope you can remember enough to recall your experiences...I know it's hard...I myself have forgotten things from my past and still have trouble remember certain things and staying focused...which is why I take Lorazepam to help calm me down so I don't have a freakin panic attack or something!!! Various people and family members including my wife will bring up memories/events that seem to have left the building...that or they are buried somewhere deep in the recesses of the subconscious mind...but when I try to remember something or solve a problem I can't I notice I get extremely agitated to the point of homicidal ideation and to someone who has no understanding of what is going on it would appear...well psychotic lol

Do you have any other diagnosis if you don't mind me asking...I myself am bipolar 1 but I've also been given other diagnosis such as schizotypal personality disorder, intermittent explosive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and most recently (well last year) I had a psychotic break and my psych believed I was schizophrenic and I ended up in a hospital on 52/50 so they could get me back on some psych meds (I was hospitalized before but I had stopped taking psych meds for years)...I don't want that happening to you so keep us updated...sometimes there are simply fixes/tools to use...we just have to know where to look for them before they find us :)

Last edited:
I take Lorazepam for my bad seizures. Think Positive, MrE.

Think about something positive. I have a great positive for today. Pinkattitude is going to be a grandma. It's her signature line. I have been talking to her on her thread and we have been having fun.

Back
Top Bottom