Seizure or a dream?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So far so good, haven't happen again. I know I've had dreams before that seem so real but when I wake up from them I realize that I'm in bed or laying on the couch so I know the thing didn't actually happen and it was a dream.

I have seen things in a seizure before but it's very rare. Once I thought I saw my aunt in the house during a seizure, not sure if it was a simple or complex partial, but when I came out of the seizure I realized she wasn't there. During one complex partial I knew my dad was in the house, not sure if I saw him or not. I started looking all over the place for him and my husband had to follow me around so I didn't go outside or down the stairs. When I came out of the seizure I didn't remember doing any of this though.

I have horrible memory problems. I was put in a coma when I had my first seizure and when I came out of it I forgot almost everything that happened 10 years before. I didn't even know who the guy was that I'd been dating at the time. Now after a month or two things start to fade away. If I have a very bad seizure I might forget things that happened that day. I may remember something that I think happened last week that actually happened a few months or years before. When I bring it up in a conversation the person always says when it happened. My mom will leave for work early at times but she didn't that night. But nothing had ever been used in my parents house that smelled so bad as it did in the seizure/dream that I had, and this is the only time that they've ever had it remolded.

I haven't had any medicine changes for years. I did have one of the dosages of my meds changed about a year ago but nothing has really changed. I'm still having the same amount of seizures and they are all the same type, simple and complex partial. During them I will just sit and stare or I might get up and walk around and do things. During some I will shake a little but it's not a violent shake. I don't think that any part of my body has ever froze.

Do you have any other diagnosis if you don't mind me asking...I myself am bipolar 1 but I've also been given other diagnosis such as schizotypal personality disorder, intermittent explosive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and most recently (well last year) I had a psychotic break and my psych believed I was schizophrenic and I ended up in a hospital on 52/50 so they could get me back on some psych meds (I was hospitalized before but I had stopped taking psych meds for years)...I don't want that happening to you so keep us updated...sometimes there are simply fixes/tools to use...we just have to know where to look for them before they find us :)

None of my drs have ever brought up bipolar in a visit. If anything I'm the complete of all of these. I'm laughing always laughing. I fell out of bed the other day, not seizure related just lost my balance, and laughed at myself for probably an hour after. It takes a good bit to get me frustrated about something and if I do I'll just walk away from it and come back to it later. Sometimes, I will get angry about it and call it some names, but I'll even start laughing because I can't get if figured out. My husband is the one who screams at things because he can't get them put together or they won't work right. It takes a very big event to cause me to be depressed, like a death, but I'm never suicidal because of it.

I am tired a good bit but I think that's due to the meds I'm on. I will get angry easy about things, it's usually people, and I think that's due to the Keppra. I won't stay angry very long though.

The only thing that's really 'frustrating' me, not really making me mad, right now is I wish I could remember if I 'knew' all of this happened before or after I went to sleep.

Thanks everyone!

None of my drs have ever brought up bipolar in a visit. If anything I'm the complete of all of these. I'm laughing always laughing. I fell out of bed the other day, not seizure related just lost my balance, and laughed at myself for probably an hour after. It takes a good bit to get me frustrated about something and if I do I'll just walk away from it and come back to it later. Sometimes, I will get angry about it and call it some names, but I'll even start laughing because I can't get if figured out. My husband is the one who screams at things because he can't get them put together or they won't work right. It takes a very big event to cause me to be depressed, like a death, but I'm never suicidal because of it.

I am tired a good bit but I think that's due to the meds I'm on. I will get angry easy about things, it's usually people, and I think that's due to the Keppra. I won't stay angry very long though.

The only thing that's really 'frustrating' me, not really making me mad, right now is I wish I could remember if I 'knew' all of this happened before or after I went to sleep.

No no no...one shouldn't jump to such drastic conclusions without proper knowledge/evaluation...these diagnosis are no joking matter...they are just as serious as epilepsy as they reside from within the brain thus effecting the entire body...anything that is interfering with your quality of life or confusing you in any manner should be taken seriously and immediately examined thoroughly to assess any possible anomalies and rule out any other entities...

Have you heard of NAMI? (National Alliance on Mental Illness)...my wife works at the local one and there are plenty of programs available nationwide...I am not sure what programs are available in your vicinity however but I am sure there are plenty of opportunities to take advantage of...hopefully...I was involved a while back in some programs and they did help me gain some perspective/clarity on things...it might be something to look into...

I find that it is always beneficial to work in conjuction with a neurologist/psychologist (or social worker of some type) that way you can learn not only about your physiology but about your psychology as well :)

Last edited:
I have to go through testing every few years for my disability benefits for the company that I used to work at just to make sure nothing has changed with my epilepsy or if anything else is starting to happen. I just took the test about a year ago.

It's a two day test that lasts almost 6 hours. It's not just a little 15 minute chitchat with one dr who asks me how I'm doing then signs a form that says I'm good to go. I talk to all sorts of different drs, including a psychologist. I take many different tests that deal with my mind and brain. Very many of the questions and tests that I'm given deal with all the subjects that you mentioned. They also talk with my neuro about things.

They want to be very positive about the things that are going on with me because they aren't going to be giving me benefits if they aren't absolutely sure. If they find out that there are other things going on except or along with epilepsy then I'd probably stop getting my benefits because I'm only getting them because I have epilepsy. They've never thought that there have been any other anomalies or other conditions except epilepsy.

I have to go through testing every few years for my disability benefits for the company that I used to work at just to make sure nothing has changed with my epilepsy or if anything else is starting to happen. I just took the test about a year ago.

It's a two day test that lasts almost 6 hours. It's not just a little 15 minute chitchat with one dr who asks me how I'm doing then signs a form that says I'm good to go. I talk to all sorts of different drs, including a psychologist. I take many different tests that deal with my mind and brain. Very many of the questions and tests that I'm given deal with all the subjects that you mentioned. They also talk with my neuro about things.

They want to be very positive about the things that are going on with me because they aren't going to be giving me benefits if they aren't absolutely sure. If they find out that there are other things going on except or along with epilepsy then I'd probably stop getting my benefits because I'm only getting them because I have epilepsy. They've never thought that there have been any other anomalies or other conditions except epilepsy.

Yeah I completely understand...things can get a little tricky...especially when dealing with multiple systems and the way things function in different areas...but I do hope things workout for the best regardless of the situation :)

Last edited:
No no no...one shouldn't jump to such drastic conclusions without proper knowledge/evaluation...these diagnosis..they are just as serious as epilepsy as they reside from within the brain thus effecting the entire body...anything that is interfering with your quality of life or confusing you in any manner should be taken seriously and immediately examined thoroughly to assess any possible anomalies and rule out any other entities...

I find that it is always beneficial to work in conjuction with a neurologist/psychologist (or social worker of some type) that way you can learn not only about your physiology but about your psychology as well :)

:agree: MrE

I have hallucinations all the time too out of sleep primarily but occasionally I have spots in my eyes that catch me off guard. I am on Keppra as well and I don't have a VNS implant but I do have a Deep Brain Stimulator and most of the hallucination stuff has happened post DBS implant. There are a lot of unknowns still with DBS & Epilepsy since it is still in the "trial" phase of being FDA approved. I have it bilaterally on left & right temporal lobes. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with these crazy things. [emoji57] My poor husband has been awoken by my hallucinations and feeling like there was someone in the bedroom so many times! [emoji39]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It happened again now!

My dad and I read books together then talk about them. On Saturday I read a few chapters. On Sunday I started reading but I wasn't where I 'left off'. I started searching all through the book, thinking I'd put the book mark in the wrong place, trying to find out where the chapter was that I ended on.

Turns out I'd read a whole chapter that didn't even exist! Glad I figured this out before I started talking to my dad about it! The 'chapter' I read was really good though! :roflmao:

If it happening again, I would tell me doctor. Are you on a new medicine?

Since the chapter didn't exist in the book that you were reading, I would think that you had a dream/seizure.

I hope you get better.

Back
Top Bottom