Seizure lasting 30 minutes!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nutella

New
Reaction score
Hi :hello:

I have complex partial seizures and drug resistant focal seizures. Currently I am on Tegretol 400mg twice a day and Lamictal 100mg in the morning and 150mg in the evening. Earlier this evening around 19:20 I had a seizure which lasted around 30 minutes because when I checked the time after 19:20 it was 19:50 and in between that time I don't remember anything I just have an unbelievably strong headache now on the left side of my head. I don't think I experienced this type of seizure before. Can a seizure really last 30 minutes? Or did it just feel like it was constant? Should I worry?

Thank you

It is possible that after the actual seizure you were in a state of post-ictal confusion, making it seem like the actual seizure itself was 30 min. But just to be safe, contact your neurologist and report this occurrence.

It is possible that after the actual seizure you were in a state of post-ictal confusion, making it seem like the actual seizure itself was 30 min. But just to be safe, contact your neurologist and report this occurrence.

Thank you masterjen the thing about that is I live in England so to contact my neurologist I would have to speak to my general practitioner first it all takes weeks lol. And when I had this seizure it was 19:20 now its 23:20 lol. I take Lorazepam when I have 3 seizures in a row so I took that earlier as I had more seizures after 20:00.

I agree with this.

After I have a seizure I'm usually pretty confused and don't know what's going on when I come out of it. It could take me a while to be able to answer questions properly, like what's my name, birthday, where I live and so on.

Most of my longer seizures have lasted maybe 10 or 15 minutes. But I generally don't know how long they actually lasted unless there is someone there to see it happen. A good bit of the time I don't even know that I'd had one unless someone saw it. That happened today.

I have a VNS. A few weeks ago I had a seizure that started out as a simple partial. I used the VNS and it stopped it from going into a complex partial. About 10 minutes later the same thing happened again. I started having the seizure again, used the magnet and it went away. I know this went on for at least a half an hour.

This was the first time anything like this has ever happened and it was shortly after my neuro made some med changes. I told my neuro about it. He said to let him know if it happens again because he may need to make changes with the VNS settings or meds again. So far it hasn't.

I agree with this.

Most of my longer seizures have lasted maybe 10 or 15 minutes. But I generally don't know how long they actually lasted unless there is someone there to see it happen. A good bit of the time I don't even know that I'd had one unless someone saw it. That happened today.

I know mine most of the time. But they have never been this long. I was completely lost between 19:20 and 19:50. Then again 21:30 till 21:40. Basically sine 19:20 until 22:45 I have been pretty lost. :cry:

I have a VNS. A few weeks ago I had a seizure that started out as a simple partial. I used the VNS and it stopped it from going into a complex partial. About 10 minutes later the same thing happened again. I started having the seizure again, used the magnet and it went away. I know this went on for at least a half an hour.

This was the first time anything like this has ever happened and it was shortly after my neuro made some med changes. I told my neuro about it. He said to let him know if it happens again because he may need to make changes with the VNS settings or meds again. So far it hasn't.

I would love to try VNS as I don't know what else to do

I agree completely with masterjen. I was thinking it before I read the post. I have absolutely no idea how the medical system works in England, but if you feel the need to, walk right into an emergency center. A long seizure can be very damaging, although, like I said, I believe masterjen's assumption is correct.

Back
Top Bottom